DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm intending to buy a diesel in the next few weeks and have exhaust ?. if i'm not goin to be doing lots of upgrades (not looking for race machine, want durability and MPG), what difference does a 4" make over a 5" system? i keep reading about keeping EGT's down which enhances life of the vehicle. if i put a 5" system on instead of a 4", would that not be a good thing? or is that a total waste? just curious before i go blow the money. i want to do the basic upgrades that will give me Life, MPG and awesome sound. i was figuring on CAI, and 5" system (haven't decided on which one yet), and maybe a programmer (but that would be waaaaaay down the road). what ya all think?

thanks for any help. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you are going to go with just minor mods, i.e. CAI, exhaust, then a 4" turbo back exhaust would be more than enough. I used to have a 5" on my 05' CTD and I did not like the way it sounded. Now on my 06' CTD all I have done is remove the CAT, and leave the muffler on. Added a AFE Stage II CAI, removed the silener ring on the turbo and she whistles like a Mack truck. The Mods I have done are, basically what every one does, and I consider them very minor mods. The help out a little with EGT's, turbo whistle, and MPG...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Let me just tell you this... Moding a Diesel is just like Crack, its addicting as hell. Once you get started is really hard to stop, depending on your wallet size, or the limit on your Credit Cards. You will tell yourself, I will buy a programmer and will only use it on 1 and 2. Then one day you will get curious and try 3, then 4, then 5, soon you are racing little Subaru ricers, and mustangs..... I would love to get the Edge or Superchips programmers, but I cannot trust myself... So in order to not have that problem, I will not buy one...

·
Registered
810 Posts
From what I've read here. THe 5" exhaust is only needed if you are going wild with the HP mods. If staying stock or light mods the 4" is all you need. I'm not sure which year they did it in, but mine has 4" all the way through already. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.