DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been discussed many times before but I want to do something with the exhaust on my 2005 Dodge CTD. Probably gonna leave the cat and either go with a muffler delete or MBRP replacement muffler. Is there any power difference? and will it be loud in the cab? I do alot of towing in the summer pulling a 28' enclosed race car trailer. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dustin Strand

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the MBRP replacement muffler on my truck and love it. You can definitely tell a difference in performance when you get rid of the stock restrictive muffler. You can tell a difference in sound when you step on the go pedal, but normal driving inside of the cab you can't tell much of a difference. Outside...you can tell. Just as all out great product. I highly recommend it.

Good luck.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I have the muffler delete and I love the sound. I like mine a little loud anyways. I haven't towed with it yet though....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just straight pipe and stack it, hehe.

I love the sound of the SP, but most think it too loud. I use a Banks muffler for the winter, just cause I already had it. If I didn't, I would go for the MBRP setup.

I couldn't tell any power gains from stock to straight, to Banks though. Sometimes you think its pulling harding, but its just your ears tricking you cause its louder. You'd have to try a dyno before and after run to really see the gains, its minimal.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I Cut off the cat and the muffler, loved the sound. It was too loud for my summer job transporting people around so i put an auger muffler on and that toned it down a bit. I took that off, straight piped it again but i got complaints up here since im at college and some people are just sissies so they complain about it.

I now run a stock muffler with no cat and in the cab its as loud as stock, but outside i am told it is still louder than a stock truck. i like it. runs hotter now but im fine with it. ill straight pipe it again when i go home for the summer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I decide to go with the MBRP muffler should i remove the cat as well or would that make it quite a bit louder?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just put on th flowmaster cat back system. So far I like it. At idle and regular acceleration no difference then a stock system. However when I do hammer down on the throttle you can hear her roar. I really like the throaty growl

Just my 2 cents worth

good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the MBRP cat-back and normal driving it's sounds like stock. Once you slam on the pedal it really revs, but I can't tell you about power gains as BullyDog and Air-Raid were modified at the same time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Billy Goat said:
I have the MBRP replacement muffler on my truck and love it. You can definitely tell a difference in performance when you get rid of the stock restrictive muffler. You can tell a difference in sound when you step on the go pedal, but normal driving inside of the cab you can't tell much of a difference. Outside...you can tell. Just as all out great product. I highly recommend it.

Good luck.
Billy Goat, do you happen to know the part number on the muffler? I'd like to see what it looks like... Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a question that may or may not be related to this thread: When you stomp the gas pedal on a diesel, why does it kick out so much black smoke and soot ?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Brian, because to make a diesel go you add fuel. When you first stomp it, the fuel is added but the turbo has to catch up to add enough air. Once the turbo catches up the smoke should subside on a stock truck. Black smoke = unburned fuel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
biggestdiesel said:
Billy Goat, do you happen to know the part number on the muffler? I'd like to see what it looks like... Thanks!
I also have the mbrp replacement muffler and love it too...........#MK96116 is the part number

Roger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.