DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I plan to have a Magnaflow Y Pipe installed sometime in April or May. Going with a 2.5" In/ 3" out #10778 universal Y Pipe along with 2.5" and 3" stainless steel mandrel bent piping. The price for the installation and piping is $120. This is the cheapest price I can find within an hour and a half of me.

Now the place I'm going to has some pretty cheap parts/labor prices... which leads me to my next question.

I'm highly considering getting a pair of Magnaflow high flow cats, but I've heard that the stock cats are "high flow" from the factory. Should I or should I not touch the stock cats? Will I notice performance gains with daily driving? I don't tow or drag race my Durango. :cool: The shop said $60 to install two high flow cats which includes installation and stainless steel piping! :YO:

Now this question doesn't relate to performance gains.

Which of these setups will be louder during daily driving? (exclude WOT as either setup will scream under WOT) I don't care about the drone part either...
Setup #1 - Stock Cats--->Magnaflow Y Pipe---5x8x18 SI/SO Magnaflow

Setup #2 - Magnaflow Spun Cats (high flow)--->Magnaflow Y Pipe--->5x11x22 SI/SO Magnaflow (currently installed)

Lastly, if anyone has had Magnaflow High Flow cats installed, which ones did you install? Part number...?

Thanks! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I too have wondered what to do about the cats on the d

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm highly considering getting a pair of Magnaflow high flow cats, but I've heard that the stock cats are "high flow" from the factory. Should I or should I not touch the stock cats? Will I notice performance gains with daily driving? I don't tow or drag race my Durango. :cool: The shop said $60 to install two high flow cats which includes installation and stainless steel piping! :YO:

Now this question doesn't relate to performance gains.

Which of these setups will be louder during daily driving? (exclude WOT as either setup will scream under WOT) I don't care about the drone part either...
Setup #1 - Stock Cats--->Magnaflow Y Pipe---5x8x18 SI/SO Magnaflow

Setup #2 - Magnaflow Spun Cats (high flow)--->Magnaflow Y Pipe--->5x11x22 SI/SO Magnaflow (currently installed)

Thanks! :gr_patrio​

Don't waste the money for hi-flo cats (you will see gains over stock). Just have yours gutted. You'll need to do non-foulers with either hi-flo or gutted so the labor is basically the same just a better option. Performance wise you'd gain mid-high range power (as with any free flow exhaust upgrades).

Setup 2 would be louder, if you gutted your cats it would be even louder. The less restrictions you have the louder it will be (and that's LOUDER, not DEEPER).​

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't waste the money for hi-flo cats (you will see gains over stock). Just have yours gutted. You'll need to do non-foulers with either hi-flo or gutted so the labor is basically the same just a better option. Performance wise you'd gain mid-high range power (as with any free flow exhaust upgrades).

Setup 2 would be louder, if you gutted your cats it would be even louder. The less restrictions you have the louder it will be (and that's LOUDER, not DEEPER).
hmmm... I've thought about gutting the cats, but I'm not going to bother with it. High flow cats are out of the question then.

I still need to decide, but I will probably switch out the 5x11x22 for a 5x8x18.

Stock Cats---Y Pipe---5x8x18 SI/SO
Stock Cats---Y Pipe---5x11x22 SI/SO

I was told that the 5x8x18 will be louder and the the loudness of the drone will be the same as the 5x11x22.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
you know I cant comment on mufflers :D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
x pipe - cutouts - mufflers - and exit it out the back!
That's my plan for this summer :D

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
x pipe - cutouts - mufflers - and exit it out the back!
That's my plan for this summer :D
Nice! :rck:

I thought about getting a cutout, but I like the tone of Magnaflow. :D

A true dual would be awesome, but I'm not sure how loud it would be and the cost involved either

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Nice! :rck:

I thought about getting a cutout, but I like the tone of Magnaflow. :D

A true dual would be awesome, but I'm not sure how loud it would be and the cost involved either
The cost to have a cutout installed (electric cutout) should be about $100 anywhere you go. You could do a single cutout after the Y before the muffler, and youd have best of both worlds. Loud or Deep with the flip of a switch.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I plan on running an oem sized cherry bomb glasspack with no resonator

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cost to have a cutout installed (electric cutout) should be about $100 anywhere you go. You could do a single cutout after the Y before the muffler, and youd have best of both worlds. Loud or Deep with the flip of a switch.
The actual cut out could be an issue here in PA with inspection

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
After a quality cutout and installation wouldn't it be about $400 just for the cutout

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
A quality cut out itself is around $250-$300...
I'm not looking to spend that kind of money for loud. Rather have a somewhat loud legal system... :imo
DHM??....Me neither

Same mine is driven daily and i need something emission approved that won't chatter my teeth lol Then again when I get a system my bass will do that anyways :D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
A quality cut out itself is around $250-$300...
I'm not looking to spend that kind of money for loud. Rather have a somewhat loud legal system... :imo
lol, well its as close to open header as any of us will ever get and be able to drive with.
Most cutouts are about $250-300 for a dual kit.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.