DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at getting exhaust for my 2000 Dakota(4.7) and really like the look of the dual out the side style( like one pipe out of each corner of the tailgate) Im not really sure of the proper name for this style.

I have been looking around and havent noticed any companies make this style for me, so is it possible for me to buy, say Gibson duals and custom fabricate them out the side the way I like it? Ill try to find a picture and post it up incase im causing some confusion with my terrible description.

Then what brand best suits me? Gibson,Flowmaster, Magna Flow, ETC. Im not going for sheer volume, I want performance, yet I want people to know ive got after market exhaust.

Thanks alot,
Mitch.

Edit, heres a random picture off google of what im talking about.

·
Registered
263 Posts
well i love the sound of my flowmaster, but some guys like the spintechs, mines not crazy loud from inside the truck but as for the exhaust maybe try your local muffler shop and see what they can do, and get the smooth bends (mandrel bent)?, hope this helps

·
Registered
162 Posts
I enjoy fabricating my own exhaust. Right now I have an extremely generic flowmaster 40 series muffler on my 4.7. If I were you I would get a single in dual out muffler, get some pipes bent and place the exhaust tips exactly where you want them, most kits will come as they are and you'd probably want to change them anyway. Exhaust pipe itself is cheap, you could do the setup for under $100 easily.

·
Registered
263 Posts
yeah is it just me or does the tips and piping look really similar?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had mine custom built by a local exhaust shop. Its a flowmaster single in dual out, with 4" tips. I wish I had gone with 3" though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
to: MqtMatt a couple of hints. 1. do NOT use cad plated bolts on ext system. 2. DO use anti-sieze compound on all ext bolts, brake line fittings, any bolts on the bottom of the truck. in 50k miles you will glad you did.

·
rptr00
288 Posts
Mitchum - contact 'rptr00' on this site. This is his setup (albeit on a Durango):
Mitchum - I had mine custom made, just not with mandrel bends. You definitely want to find a competent shop, it will take time and patience to match each side perfectly.

As far as exhaust, I think you would like gibson or magnaflow or dynomax. their sound is fairly tame and shouldnt be too obnoxious in the cab

·
01RC2WD4.75SPD
790 Posts
why even run mufflers, i havent had one on mine for a while. Ive had 4 systems. Trust me. Have some pipes bent up and throw some tips on there. The more bends the more it will be silenced. It will have a nice idle and isnt overly loud until well after 3k

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
one time my dad had a 500" max wedge he took it to a shop. they told dad that if you neeked down the last 2-3 inches to 20-30 % smaller to will be much qieter but not much back pressure

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Exhaust that I ran on my 04 has impressed me quite a bit. I Ran a Twister Performance Muffler. Since your in Alberta you have access to these, most exhaust shops around here have them, they're made just outside of Red Deer and are run on most Late model stock series cars in Western Canada. they have a Dakota Specific Application that basically blots right up perfectly. The sound is exceptional and I've noticed a decent increase in Fuel and HP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.