DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I don't think the CR's get more fuel mileage and power is just getting more air & fuel in the cylinders.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Both my brothers have 2006's there single wheel 4 door trucks but and not 4wd so I know that makes a difference but there getting 21-22 normal driving on the highway & 16-17 pulling a 28 foot travel trailer with a small boat behind it. I am wanting to say my one brother told me he got as much as 25 out of his with no load on his last trip.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
You'll save a lot of money if you just do the trans and get a tuner with some way to monitor fuel pressure and boost. Cheapest I've seen a clean body common rail is probably 13k, and it's work package with a lot of miles. Thats why I haven't traded up yet. And wait until the first time you need an injector for that thing lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I looked forever to find anything that was not beat to crap with under 150,000 miles on it. I ended up paying 15 for this one. I found a few others in the area for 13 to 14500 for the same year model but they all needed something dash ball joint etc. I have been looking again just for the heck of it. I found one 2003 with 179000 miles for 15 and it's 4 hours away so who knows what it looks like if I actually seen it inperson. Maybe I should just be happy and keep it since it is a really nice clean truck. I know I would lose money getting rid of it after I had to pay taxes on it and have went thru and changed all the fluids on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Holy crap, trucks are expensive there. I might start buying and reselling out that way lol.
I found some in Texas that looked like better deal. I did think about going out there & visiting family & finding one but sometimes things are not as good as they look on the internet either. I might could have kept waiting & found one cheaper sooner or later but I had the itch & had been looking for a few months.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Both my brothers have 2006's there single wheel 4 door trucks but and not 4wd so I know that makes a difference but there getting 21-22 normal driving on the highway & 16-17 pulling a 28 foot travel trailer with a small boat behind it. I am wanting to say my one brother told me he got as much as 25 out of his with no load on his last trip.

Wow, that's some good fuel mileage, modern computerized fuel injection I guess.
It does help to keep speeds down.
I picked up a coupla mpg when I installed 8 hole nozzles on my injector bodies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Wow, that's some good fuel mileage, modern computerized fuel injection I guess.
It does help to keep speeds down.
I picked up a coupla mpg when I installed 8 hole nozzles on my injector bodies.
So are the 8 hole nozzles expensive ? I love this truck just not happy with the power and would love more MPG . The mpg aint bad just normal driving but it was not good with the trailer. Of course I still need to check the fuel pressure to make sure there is not a problem. I got sidetracked again today.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
So are the 8 hole nozzles expensive ? I love this truck just not happy with the power and would love more MPG . The mpg aint bad just normal driving but it was not good with the trailer. Of course I still need to check the fuel pressure to make sure there is not a problem. I got sidetracked again today.
7x.012'a are a very popular, but very big with stock turbo, vp injector. Personally, for what you're doing, I would stay stock everything until you decide you really want more than the stock stuff can give you. Just trans and a tune.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Thanks I was worried someone was going to tell me I needed to spend another 500 bucks. LOL This Mod Monkey thing is worse on the truck than the Motorcycles. Looking at 3 grand just to make me happy & I am not rich.

The local dealer offered 13,500 for the truck but I hate to lose 2 grand right off the bat. I am thinking I should just suck it up & get the valve body & convertor so I can get my programmer since I do like the truck.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Thats what I would do. If you don't like it then, which I don't see how you wouldn't with a solid 300whp, then you're just gonna need to go all the way to 500hp. I will say a small twin set at 400-500hp is the best tow setup you'll ever drive on a small displacement diesel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Thats what I would do. If you don't like it then, which I don't see how you wouldn't with a solid 300whp, then you're just gonna need to go all the way to 500hp. I will say a small twin set at 400-500hp is the best tow setup you'll ever drive on a small displacement diesel.
Well I am going to keep it for sure just cant justify losing any money & searching for something else again. Let the modding begin. LOL I ordered power mirrors for it because the others are hard to adjust & were driving me crazy & I ordered a new radio because I was missing my Bluetooth .

As soon as I sell one of my Vmax's & another little bike I have here I am going to do the transmission. I am just gonna go ahead & do the whole transmission so I don't have to worry about it & know what I have.

I keep wanting to order the tuner first so I will have all my gauges for now but if I do I will have to wait a little longer on the transmission . I cant quite make up my mind on that one.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Well I am going to keep it for sure just cant justify losing any money & searching for something else again. Let the modding begin. LOL I ordered power mirrors for it because the others are hard to adjust & were driving me crazy & I ordered a new radio because I was missing my Bluetooth .

As soon as I sell one of my Vmax's & another little bike I have here I am going to do the transmission. I am just gonna go ahead & do the whole transmission so I don't have to worry about it & know what I have.

I keep wanting to order the tuner first so I will have all my gauges for now but if I do I will have to wait a little longer on the transmission . I cant quite make up my mind on that one.
I would do trans first. I know it's super hard to justify something that won't gain any power, but it pays off a lot in the long run. You can control when the truck will be down instead of breaking it and just being stranded or without a truck until you have the cash to fix it. Plus, a better built trans will put more power to the wheels too, just makes it an all around more fun truck even with stock power.

I forgot about these guys too. They're relatively new as a business, but they've been doing cummins very well for a long time. Will Terry started a junker drag project years ago, and took it over 800hp and into the 10's with under $5k total invested, I believe that included the purchase price. Last count was over 3000 1/4 mile passes with no major failures. Did all the work himself. So he definitely knows his stuff. He does everything from injectors to transmissions.

powerdrivendiesel.com

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I will take you advice & do the trans first. I know that is the right thing to do all I was going to use the tuner for was basically gauges right now so would not be gaining power with it either unless I could not keep it turned off. LOL

I am sure my better half is going to freak when I tell her transmission prices. I just can not make myself have the trans out with out redoing it my luck something would come apart in it & screw up my new convertor & valve body & then I would really be ticked. I would rather know I have a completely good transmission.

I watched them videos I like the Junker Diesel !

121 - 134 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.