DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing what sounds like a slight exhaust leak, or possibly the Hemi tick, IDK. Decided to check the header bolts, they were all snug. A few of them I could turn 1/4 or so, then I got to the last one (front top passenger side). As soon as I put the ratchet on it, I said aha, that's the problem. It was lose so I began to tighten it. Then I said wow, this thing must have been ready to fall out. As I continue, I get this sinking feeling in my gut because it wouldn't get tight, WTF. So I backed it out to find a coil of aluminum around the threads - STRIPPED! The guy who installed the headers (2 years ago) must have stripped it and didn't tell me. :VHOT: So I removed the lock washer which allowed the bolt to go little deeper into the head, and I got it snug. Not sure if it will stay in place without the lock washer, but I don't think the hole can be tapped without removing the head. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
477 Posts
you could run a "bottoming" tap down hole (cuts thteads to about 1 1/2 turns from bottom) Should be able to do in place. Then install appropriate stud with locktite just snug and secure with the right size nut. Might even be possible to drill and tap for a helicoil without removing head

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Install a helicoil, you drill the existing hole slightly bigger, tap it out ( rethread ) install the helicoil and you can use the same bolt again.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Heli-coil all the way.... :rck:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
six pak said:
you could run a "bottoming" tap down hole (cuts thteads to about 1 1/2 turns from bottom) Should be able to do in place. Then install appropriate stud with locktite just snug and secure with the right size nut. Might even be possible to drill and tap for a helicoil without removing head
When you say 1 1/2 turns from bottom, are you suggesting that the hole is not threaded all the way to the bottom?
I've used the helicoil before with success, but I think this would require removing the header at least, and I don't think there's enough clearance to get a drill in there without removing the head. I may try this as a last resort, but I hope it's not necessary. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Blind holes arent tapped to the bottom,take a look at a plug tap,the taper uses up about 4-5 full threads.To tap to bottom they would then have to use a bottom tap and slow down production. Stick something into hole bottom and compare meas to length of bolt used. Helicoil is best solution BUT maybe bottom tap may work without even having to remove header. If any threads are left in hole they will guide tap,in low clearance situation I've used proper size ignition wrench to turn tap. Locktite makes a stud and bearing mount that will insure that the stud will stay in place.Thread engagment equal to 1 1/2 times bolt diameter produces the required holding power(strength). If doesnt work,well off come headers and maybe head to helicoil.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks six pak, I understand now. :gr_patrio I'll try a bottoming tap first and see how it goes. Maybe I can avoid pulling everything apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.