DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 2500 megacab CTD and am looking at exhausts. What is the difference between downpipe back, turbo back and cat back? Can you attach an image of what each one looks like?
I'm looking at banks and magnaflow-no stacks, no straight pipe, or duals. and I'm not cutting the cat.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
37 Posts
The downpipe attached to the turbo so Turbo back will replace the downpipe and go all the way back. Downpipe Back will not replace the pipe but run from there back. Cat Back will attach to the back of your Cat and run to the back.

If you are not going to take the Cat off then you would want a Cat Back system.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Banks is 4 inch, you already have 4 inch plumbing. Magnaflow offers 5 inch exhaust, but if you dont want to take your cat off you will need the cat back system like BillCMoore said.

·
Registered
852 Posts
silkywoods said:
I have an 06 2500 megacab CTD and am looking at exhausts. What is the difference between downpipe back, turbo back and cat back? Can you attach an image of what each one looks like?
I'm looking at banks and magnaflow-no stacks, no straight pipe, or duals. and I'm not cutting the cat.
Thanks for the help
Also, if you want alot of whistle out of the turbo, I would highly recommend a AFE Stage II CAI (Cold Air Intake), and removing the silencer ring from the turbo housing.... Your turbo will be screaming like a Mack truck.... In addition to your new exhaust... :rck:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do I need the cat? is it restrictive? Can I run a 5" exhaust out of the 4" cat? MBRP exhaust is another one I was looking at. Out of Banks, MBRP, and Magnaflow how do they stack up. I don't want anything too loud.

·
Registered
95 Posts
cat is restrictive. I took mine off. You could take the cat off and change your muffler and save a few bucks or leave your stock muffler on without the cat.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don’t know awhole lot about exhust systems, but I know cats are a good idea. Yes, they are a little restrictive, but not nearly what they use to be. People always bitch about cats being HP thiefs, this was true back in the 70s, but 30 years later, they have really come alone way.

They really do work in converting harmful pollutants into lesser pollutants. Dose your city require emission testing? If they do, I’d advise you not to take the cat off, they mite ‘flunk’ you for it, or your truck may not pass.

Some engines like a little bit of back presser. I know some gas engines, like the 4.7L in my Jeep runs a lot better with the cat than with off. More lower and torque with the cat than with out. I don’t know about the Cummins so I cant say.

I’m going to say go with the Banks system, but thats only b/c thats whats on my truck. I like it a lot, as in how it looks and sounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.