DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm starting to burn out on finding the right exhaust. I can't seem to find a muffler that is as loud as I would like. I have tried Gibson, Borla, Flowmaster, and Magnaflow. I have spent so much money it's amazing and still not found a muffler that is loud enough. I have driven around without a muffler and I don't care for the popping sound you get without a muffler. (it's a truck, not a Harley)
I have considerered SpinTech and AeroTurbine but I'm scared to spend the money and not get what I'm looking for. Is it just the 4.7 and the fact that it can't put out loud sound. I just installed my flowmaster and that seems to be about the same as the Gibson I have. So I'll be putting the Gibson back on and returning the Flow. If anyone here has a 4.7 with either the SpinTech or AeroTurbine muffler with sound clips that would be awesome.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
I to have been trying to decide which way to go with this and from some of the other threads have pretty much decided to go the electric cut out route. Looking under the truck there is a section between muffler and down pipes that would be very easy to swap out for a pre assembled section with the cut out in it. So with a mere flick of a switch go from stock, stealth, mode to neck snapping of others looking for the dragster or any level in between. It could even have a pipe section added after the cut out gate running to say in front of the rear wheel for a finished look.
Just my idea's on the subject but should be as loud as you want, when you want and cost a lot less than just about every other aftermarket system and also be easy to fit if you get the pipe preambled.
Rob.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
OMG not loud enough.......Dude how loud do you want it. I have a 4.7 with a Gibson Supertruck and it rowmps.........I am trading it back to stock this weekend as the car rides have gotten old for me, I want want the boom over the drone.........

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Hell the stock 4.7 on my wife's 2002 sounds as good as the Gibson I had on my 93 F150 without the drone at 65-75

I wish my 2005 hemi sounded as good . I would leave it stock

I have an Aeroturbine waiting to go on and am leery of what it will be like

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
If you have tried all those mufflers and don't like any, then your only options are to straight pipe it or get a cutout. You sound like a damn picky dude, even more than me,lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
What sounded good to me is when i had my gibson is to move it up closer to the front and dump it right out of the muffler. Give it a shot its pretty damn loud.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Have you had a chance to stand behind your truck while someone revs'er up for you? Have you heard it driveby? Have someone do this for you. You may be surprised to actually hear what you are looking for. Sitting inside the truck doesn't do any justice. I too, thought my truck wasn't that loud until I passed someone I knew or had someone follow me as I accelerated away from them. The comments have all been very positive as to how nice and loud it actually is. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
i just had a 13" glass pack put on my truck with the stock tailpipe with the resinator . it sounds great really bellars when you get on it , no droan in the cab sounds way better than the flowmaster i had on my other truck. nice rumble at a idle . whole job cost $90.00 cant be happier . cheapest exhaust i ever bought and it sounds the better than the $300.00 exhaust ive bought.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
What magnaflow did you try?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
4404spd said:
i just had a 13" glass pack put on my truck with the stock tailpipe with the resinator . it sounds great really bellars when you get on it , no droan in the cab sounds way better than the flowmaster i had on my other truck. nice rumble at a idle . whole job cost $90.00 cant be happier . cheapest exhaust i ever bought and it sounds the better than the $300.00 exhaust ive bought.

Glad you like it, but glasspacks burn out in about 2yrs. (atleat mine did).
Oh yeah, and my Flow 40 only cost $100 installed.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
yellowbee said:
Glad you like it, but glasspacks burn out in about 2yrs. (atleat mine did).
Oh yeah, and my Flow 40 only cost $100 installed.

he said he wanted loud its not that loud right now . a 13" glass pack wont get much louder because its so short to begin with. and i have my resinator yet.try a glass pack with no resinator that should be loud enough for you

·
Registered
211 Posts
I started down the same path as you 2 months ago. I wanted something loud as hell but, I need it somewhat tame for when my wife/baby daughter were in the truck. I tried a Magnaflow and then looked at Flowmaster 40's. I ended up going with a cutout.

I totally recommend the e-cutout as you get 10 different exhaust notes in 1 system. Fully closed is quiet stock, fully open is loud as hell and sounds great, anywhere in between can go from a slight rumble to way friggin' loud! All these volume levels at the tip of your finger and 2-4 seconds opening/closing the butterfly.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
TREP R/T said:
Have you had a chance to stand behind your truck while someone revs'er up for you? Have you heard it driveby? Have someone do this for you. You may be surprised to actually hear what you are looking for. Sitting inside the truck doesn't do any justice. I too, thought my truck wasn't that loud until I passed someone I knew or had someone follow me as I accelerated away from them. The comments have all been very positive as to how nice and loud it actually is. Just a thought.
This is absolutely true. ;)

Sil

·
Registered
111 Posts
My stock 4.7 muffler sounds like a performance car, I won't change it unless it rots. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've currently got a straight pipe on my truck and at high rev it sounds great. But in low it has somewhat of a raspy sound. I guess I am picky about my exhaust. I did the same sort of thing with my mustang, then my camaro and all of my jeeps. I actually ended up building my own muffler for my jeep and I may end up doing it again. Thanks for all the input guys, I like hearing about every one else's trials and tribulations.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
Get Headers, no cats, true duals and get 2 spintechs. Simple as that. You went through too much trouble. And if you want to go cheap but very effective route get a electric cutout.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Randy_W said:
My stock 4.7 muffler sounds like a performance car, I won't change it unless it rots. ;)
I wish my 2005 hemi sounded as good as the OEM muffler on my wifes 2002 4.7

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an 04 with a 4.7 with stock exhaust and the other day a buddy of mine asked if I had put aftermarket exhaust or pipes on it. I have recieved alot of compliments on my stock sound.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
does the electric cut out make it have the sound of an exhaust leak? I've heard rigs with the exhaust cut off just after the cat and was not impressed. Very lud but not a good loud.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.