DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm about to upgrade my exhaust, (99 5.2 ltr), and i need an intelligent reason on this other than it sounds better. the shop wants to make money so of course they want you to get the more expensive one. btw, i'm talking about true duals, ie, 2 cats, mufflers, etc.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
What do you mean mor intelligent reason, you need another reason other than it sounds better???

·
truckman323
466 Posts
Either run true dual exhaust or a single with 3" all the way out with a full flow muffler. That will get you the best performance. I don't think true dual exhaust has that much more performance gain than an open single exit. Single exit with a full flow muffler has a little more performance gain than going single into a dual exit muffler because the exhaust gases fight a little bit to get through the chambers on a dual exit muffler.

All three are a definite upgrade from a stock system. IMO it's not worth the money to put on true duals.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
single with larger pipes with high flow components will give you what you want true duals look good but the same basic preformance or you could compramise and put in cut-outs before the cat and your good

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Go with duals because it costs more. Help the economy by shartring the wealth. ;) :gr_patrio

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
I believe Gibson shows on thier dyno runs (or did) that the big single setup produced more bottom end torque and midrange power than thier "dual outlet" system. They recommended it for towing and off roading.
After running a "dual outlet" system, I wish I'd went with the big single instead. The pipes on my duals hit shocks under extreme flex. A single system "dries out quicker" which if you take short trips, would make it last longer. Honestly, I think sound wise, not much difference betwenn the two.

One last important note. Due to the tailpipe length, I had to "double up" the exhaust hangers, otherwise I kept snapping them apart. Most single systems use the factory hanger points.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
A dual system of the same area as a single pipe will increase performance slightly when sized correctly.... Duals have more surface exposed to the air to cool the exhaust gases causing them to condense and help scavange the cylinders.
This does require extra mounting points and works best with a crossover between the sides.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm going with a 3" single in/single out when I replace my stock system. I do not believe there is much a performace improvement going with true duals and the crossmembers/frame componets were not designed for true duals, so there could be some clearance issues. Not worth the hassle/cost IMO. I think Flowmaster makes such a system for around 300 beans.......I plan on tackling that project during the summer months.....I'd also like to Gut my Converter while I'm at it, but I'm concerned about throwing a CEL, since there's an O2 sensor fore and aft of the CAT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.