DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
"Cone Killer"
2,441 Posts
No, from what I have gathered it is better to keep it on all the time, unless road conditions dont warrant it. I have mine on most of the time unless I forget to turn it on.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
As I told you in another thread, its better to run it all the time then to not run it at all. The more you run it, the better it is for the truck. I have run mine since day one all the time unless the roads are slippery.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe it helps keep the DPF clean.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
The more you run it, the better it is for the truck.
What ? how did you come up with that????
Data please
If you understood how the turbo and exhaust brake work you would understand how running the EB keeps the slides on the turbo clean.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Umm, don't know if I should thank you or not for that post, LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
Turbo cleaning

You unhook the EGR Valve so you can improve your fuel economy.
Then you leave your exhaust brake on all the time.
Who’s not understanding?

If you start having trouble with the turbo let the dealer clean it the first time, they know where to drill and tap the hole.
Then you can take care of it, if you want, or take it back to the dealer.
“again your assuming I don’t understand how the turbo works”

Teach me something I don’t know about cummins diesel engines,
I’m all ways willing to learn. and it will be more productive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
exhaust brake VS fuel economy

Are you saying that we get worse fuel mileage with the eb brake on?
exhaust brake VS fuel economy

Please remember safety is all ways first.
Use the exhaust brake when needed.

Try it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Depending on the accuracy of your data you may or may not be able to tell much of a difference.

It’s hard to test a small amount of fuel economy change with a truck out on the street and high way. The test would be better done in a controlled environment such as a test cell.

Look at it this way; Your truck is at a stop, then you accelerate up to 60 MPR.
(You know this will use a know a mount of fuel) Then take your foot off the accelerator peddle and see how far your truck will coast with the exhaust brake on. Now repeat the test with the exhaust brake OFF.

You will find that your truck will coast farther with the exhaust brake off. ( if not your exhaust brake not working)

Now you see that your truck can move farther on the same amount of fuel. = more MPG.

How much fuel you save depends on how often your exhaust brake are use or not used during your daily drive.

You can find this on Wikipedia
Note Braking, “exhaust brake”

Fuel economy-maximizing behaviors describe techniques that drivers can use to optimize their automobile fuel economy. The energy in fuel consumed in driving is lost in many ways, including engine inefficiency, aerodynamic drag, rolling friction, and kinetic energy lost to braking (and to a lesser extent regenerative braking). Driver behavior can influence all of these. The city mileage of conventional cars is lower than highway mileage due to: 1) a high proportion of idling time, 2) operation mostly at very inefficient low-output engine operating points, and 3) more frequent braking (and more frequent resultant acceleration

Please remember safety is all ways first.
Use the exhaust brake when needed.

Sorry for the long response,
Thanks
I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok I get what your saying, I will still drive with it on because If I take my foot off the pedal It's because I need to slow down. And you dont have to have much pressure on the pedal to keep it from kicking in. I would think that if used properly it wouldn't make much difference, but I can see how there could be a small one. Then there is the brake wear costs to extra fuel usage costs. Another dimension. Thanks for the answer I thought there was something bigger that I didn't know about. cheers.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
The savings in brake parts will more than offset the extra fuel you MAY use. It will also keep your truck out of the service garage by using the EB

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Jayburn,

Ok I get what your saying, I will still drive with it on because If I take my foot off the pedal It's because I need to slow down. And you dont have to have much pressure on the pedal to keep it from kicking in. I would think that if used properly it wouldn't make much difference, but I can see how there could be a small one. Then there is the brake wear costs to extra fuel usage costs. Another dimension. Thanks for the answer I thought there was something bigger that I didn't know about. cheers.
Hi Jayburn,

The way you’re using the EB is fine, there is nothing bigger to it and the fuel usage cost is nothing to worry over. Dually and I are cutting hairs. :eek:)
All in all you have an Excellent Truck, that will serve you well for a long time.

Keep an eye on the VGT turbo, some times it gets sticky. If it does take it to the dealer and have them clean it for you.

If you have a dealer change your oil, ask them to look at the REAR u joint,, IF you have over 50,000 miles and every 10,000 after that. If you replace it use a NAPA u joint that you can grease.

Have a nice night.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.