DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98.5 24 valve with 160k miles has 4:11 gear w/ 5 speed having issues with excessive oil coming out the blow by valve under load at high rpms only above 70 miles/hr (losses up to 1 gallon in 10 miles!) but does not blow anything out below 65 miles/hr :huh: :help:

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Do you have any mods to the truck? Sounds like a big blow-by issue presurizing the crankcase. How does the truck run besides that? Give us some more to go on or we're all just throwing ideas around. Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
577 Posts
Where does your hose route down to?

Sometimes a venturi can be created as air passes by the end of the tube and the oil will actually be sucked out as it runs back down to the pan. Its rare, but if its not a problem in lower gears, its the first thing I would look at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck runs great there is no miss or anything im completely dumbfounded ive had o dodge mech look @ it several times and he is still scratching his head so if you got any ideas it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesnt do it in lower gears and the tube runs out on the drivers side of the oil pan and could you explain what a venturi is

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
In simple terms, a venturi is when you change the flow of air and cause it to speed up. Two simple examples are a Flow Master muffler where the gasses are directed around an open center "V". The air pushing around the outside causes the air going through to speed up because of vaccumme created as they come back together.
Another is a carberator. The air passing the jets creates a suction to pull fuel into the stream. I might not have described this exactly right {for all you aero-engineers out there} but you get the idea.... Chris

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Boy, I've beed dreading one of these....check for a crack at the lower end of the timing gear housing between the balancer and engine block.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Kinda sounds like the KDP.
The #53 block issue is a coolant leak is from a crack on the block near the cylinder head-passenger side but I've read there's a girdle fabricated to help that potential problem.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Wouldn't KDP take out the gear train? he'd have to be REAL lucky to have just cracked the front cover/housing.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yup, he's probably real lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whats kdp? Im really getting frustrated with this truck but when i look @ 750$ a month for 5 yrs i quickly get unfrustrated this truck is really confusing i hauled a 28 ft sundowner loaded with 3 horses all weekend and kept my speed down below 65mph and didnt lose a drop of oil

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
O yea, i forgot bout that KDP. Yep that sure sounds like your problem. I talked to a diesel mechanic who had a guy bring him an 96 12v after the pin came out... After $3500 dollars later he was rollin again. He said he used parts laying around his shop to fix it. He is kinda pricie to. Just thought i would throw that in there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
does a 2001 have the kdp?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Bidedunit said:
Whats kdp? Im really getting frustrated with this truck but when i look @ 750$ a month for 5 yrs i quickly get unfrustrated this truck is really confusing i hauled a 28 ft sundowner loaded with 3 horses all weekend and kept my speed down below 65mph and didnt lose a drop of oil

There's an alignment dowel pin for lining up the timing gear case to the motor block.
On 12 valve motors and some 24 valve motors, the pin hole was the same diameter through the gearcase and didn't have enough interference fit so the dowel pin slowly over time vibrates out of the hole and falls into the spinning timing gears. Sometimes it gets knocked into the oilpan without hurting anything, sometimes they get in the gear mesh and really tear up things.
Which motors have them loosened is up for grabs and the rate of incidence is scarce on 24 valve motors. If I have the front of mine off for any reason, I'll pull the cover and check.

Have you looked under the motor at the aluminum gear case between the harmonic balancer and the motor block? Is there a crack or a hole wet with oil?
I've read of oil pan bolts getting loose too.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
SO what was it????? Nosey people want to know????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.