DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i advise all of you who have flip kits on your trucks to go and get the perches welded ASAP. i was playing in the rain a few minutes ago and gunned it a couple of times letting it spin through all the gears it wanted it to :drivingz: . and i did that about 5 times. and well on the 6th one i hit it and it jumped a bit then my axle just slid upward. which is why i'm confused right now. luckly it happed in right in front of Coltsteele's house which is about a mile from mine so i stopped there and found the prob. so i will post picks up tomorrow unless you guys really want them then i'll go take them right now with a help of a jack since my truck is so slow that i can't fit my thick body throught the frame or body. so if you have a flip kit get to welding that perch as soon as humanly possible. ha ha i was hoping it was my gears so i can go ahead and have a reason to order the 4.56 w/ tracloc. darn o well they'll be on next month for sure prob with my headers also. if you have any questions feel free so ask.

BBB

P.S. don't you just love the power our trucks make i still got a big o smile from seeing the axle pointing up like that :D :greenchai :bman:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ummm i slid it about 45-50 degrees up maybe more. doesn't look like anything broke just moved. i think my shorter shocks kept the rear end from completely rotating all the way around

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
the stock perches need to be finsihed being welded where the factory left off........they only have enough weld to hold the factory perch in place for leafs above the axle.........when the factory perches are used to anchor new flip perches then the weakness of the factory welds will be apparent!!!! I have the pics somewhere on my PC and will try to post again if I can find them.........it isnt necessary to weld the new perches as long as you Finish welding the factory ones where they left off at the assembly line!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll look into that. i might still weld the new perches in just for my peace of mind

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW look at these

Attachments

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
BigBadBoy said:
i'll look into that. i might still weld the new perches in just for my peace of mind
the new perches are powdercoated so grind them good before trying to weld them in place(with the proper pinion angle of course!!) to get proper penetration of the welds!!!!!

I always try to weld perches myself when the installs are done here in the garage!!!! see below pic..........

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what would be the correct pinion angle??? what should it look like when its perfect??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ummmm i don't know what the specs where because they never said but i'll tell you they are REAL TIGHT. i did it with my air tools so i know its tight.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if i decide to go lower its gonna be a pain in the butt to take the welds off the new perch isn't it?? thanks for the pics, don't think my pinion angle was right from the get go. it was pointing up a bit and i had a some vibration when going down the highway at about 70-80

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
BigBadBoy.........can you get me a few more detailed shots??? especially of the original perches and the new ones you installed???? preferrably with one of the rear wheels removed????? I would appreciate it and I am trying to help!!!

Brian

I have gone from 2-4 to 3 1/2 -6 1/2 to 5-8 with no pinion changes since the first time I set it up.....once you have it set it will be good enough for mild changes not to effect it!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
umm i'll get you some detailed picks tomorrow because its pitch dark outside and well this happened a few mins ago :)

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
BigBadBoy said:
umm i'll get you some detailed picks tomorrow because its pitch dark outside and well this happened a few mins ago :)
cool.....I just wanted to see the way the perches were installed the first time to help determine why there was a vibration going down the highway at 70-80???? I havent heard of this type problem yet and would like to see the pics so I can see a better view!!!;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sure will and thanks again for all the help. BTW how much for one of those rear sway bars and how or from where can i get shorter bump stops for the front cause i'm riding on them. finally drop the front another inch so i have 4 inches in the front. and i got a set of 275/45R20 so i'm sitting pretty close to the ground. lol any idea how low a SRT bumper will be from the ground??

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
got mine welded and re coated! thats how we do it... i wish it would rain in california so I could go drifting w/o shavin my tire!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well thats how i just messed my stuff up. i was playing in the rain lol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.