DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Damn, that is... unique. I'm not sure about the mirrors, but it is a good concept. You'd think there'd be a set of rims on there too with everything else that's done.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
send a link bro thanks

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
Damn, that is... unique. I'm not sure about the mirrors, but it is a good concept. You'd think there'd be a set of rims on there too with everything else that's done.
Yeah, that was the first thing I was thinking too - where's the rims????

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
That vehicle is totally stupid. No door handles? TV cameras in place of the mirrors? TV monitors that switch to DVD's that the driver can watch while driving? I can think of 20 reasons why these are really really bad ideas.

That vehicle is a traffic cop's wetdream. If you were ever pulled over you would have to pay more in fines than you would have to pay to pull all that stupid crap out and put the mandated safety equipment back in. I am suprised that the dumass that build it didn't put a pot leaf bumper stickers all over it. What a moron.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
adodgeman4life said:
send a link bro thanks
It's in the first post... eBay item # 4552754037

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
canyonD said:
That vehicle is totally stupid. No door handles? TV cameras in place of the mirrors? TV monitors that switch to DVD's that the driver can watch while driving? I can think of 20 reasons why these are really really bad ideas.

That vehicle is a traffic cop's wetdream. If you were ever pulled over you would have to pay more in fines than you would have to pay to pull all that stupid crap out and put the mandated safety equipment back in. I am suprised that the dumass that build it didn't put a pot leaf bumper stickers all over it. What a moron.
So... I'm taking it you don't like it? lol

What's wrong with shaved handles? A lot of people do that. Although on that, I don't know if those are stock flares or waht... but it doesn't look right from the side on that particular vehicle. Maybe the door handles being there help break it up.

TV cameras in place of mirrors... I can see it being a good concept. If they're wide view cameras, then as he said... yo u don't have to worry about a pesky blind spot anymore and to me that's good. Not to mention a camera on the hitch to help hook up to something. And what about the remote one he can put on the back of whatever he's towing? Sounds pretty good to me.

The mirror screens doubling as DVD screens... that could get you into trouble I suppose. However if you're ever pulled over, flip it onto the mirrors and you should be ok. Wouldn't be any different from anyone else that has a DVD screen in their ride then.

·
Registered
346 Posts
why so bitter? it was some guys hobby and he enjoyed it so back off...And another thing, are you really bashing shaved door handles?!?! if i had the money and/or skills to mkae that happen on my truck it would have occurred a long time ago....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
It's in the first post... eBay item # 4552754037
thanks bro
wow that thing ugly i would never do that but two each his owne

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I dont think that I am bitter, but I am concerned when I see people making dumb modifications that are likely to increase the potential for an accident. I dont want any more dangerous drivers on the road than we already have. The mirror/video monitor mod has dramatically increased the potential for driver distraction.

Imagine screwing with the monitor switches to go from left to right to rear views, oh and then watching the morning news on the monitor (probably in rush hour traffic while drinking coffee and talking on the cel phone).

Mirrors dont need switches and are fast intuitive and reliable. Having a video display with multiple camera angles (and a dvd player) sounds like an accident waiting to happen. California (and other states) are discussing strong penalties for any cars with video monitors visible to the driver that can play movies or tv.

No door handles sounds inconvenient. If the battery goes dead, how do you open the doors? Cut the hood release cable, and install a new battery? Hope you didn't lock Fido in the car when the battery goes dead... of course you can alway just break the window. Real convenient.

I was driving home the other day and saw a black Ram 1500 with tailights that were darkened with that special black spray paint. They were so dark that it was difficult to see his brake lights. I bet that I could have slammed in to his rear end and sued him for stupidity. Lots of people on this forum are doing this whacky mod. Just cause lots of people are doing something doesn't mean it is smart or legal.

·
'99 Durango SLT
283 Posts
Whatever floats your boat, I guess... It doesn't float mine. I think those mirror/cameras are goofy, and the last thing I want to see in the next lane is some guy or gal with a video monitor watching a DVD while they are supposed to be driving. Imagine the look on the rescue crew's faces when they try to open the door and find you don't have any door handles. Yikes!

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
canyonD said:
Imagine screwing with the monitor switches to go from left to right to rear views, oh and then watching the morning news on the monitor (probably in rush hour traffic while drinking coffee and talking on the cel phone).

Mirrors dont need switches and are fast intuitive and reliable. Having a video display with multiple camera angles (and a dvd player) sounds like an accident waiting to happen. California (and other states) are discussing strong penalties for any cars with video monitors visible to the driver that can play movies or tv.
There's three screens... what's to flip? left one is left... right one is right... center for rear or screen for the people in the back seat. Hell, I know I don't always use every one of my mirrors... in fact my '66 only has one on the driver side.

canyonD said:
No door handles sounds inconvenient. If the battery goes dead, how do you open the doors? Cut the hood release cable, and install a new battery? Hope you didn't lock Fido in the car when the battery goes dead... of course you can alway just break the window. Real convenient.
That's why there are fail safes where a hidden switch is installed somewhere so only you know where it is to allow you to get in if the battery dies. But of course this is all a case of not knowing how things work...

canyonD said:
I was driving home the other day and saw a black Ram 1500 with tailights that were darkened with that special black spray paint. They were so dark that it was difficult to see his brake lights. I bet that I could have slammed in to his rear end and sued him for stupidity. Lots of people on this forum are doing this whacky mod. Just cause lots of people are doing something doesn't mean it is smart or legal.
Actually, you would have been at fault for following too close, no matter what he's done. If he used the correct stuff... then it doesn't hinder the light coming out of it. uring the day it may not be as visible as you'd like, but at night it's still very much visible.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
Actually, you would have been at fault for following too close, no matter what he's done. If he used the correct stuff... then it doesn't hinder the light coming out of it. uring the day it may not be as visible as you'd like, but at night it's still very much visible.

ACTUALLY, most states require (and this could be federal, not sure) that the brake lights are visible from 100ft (some states up to 500ft) during the day. If he could prove that they were not, which sounds likely from his statement, then not even SEMA could have saved the guy with the modified tail lights.

Checked on Federal Law and they use a standard of candlepower to measure stop lamps in vehicles. Reading Federal law is like reading Chinese but from what I could gather minimum candlepower is 80-110.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
There's three screens... what's to flip? left one is left... right one is right... center for rear or screen for the people in the back seat. Hell, I know I don't always use every one of my mirrors... in fact my '66 only has one on the driver side.
Not sure how you determined the tv screen setup to be configured that way, but I still believe it to be a major hazard. Since there are many pending laws that will soon be passed to ban this kind of bs, there must be many safety experts that agree with me.

Bubba_Hemi said:
Actually, you would have been at fault for following too close, no matter what he's done.
I think that arguement would be laughed out of the courtroom. If tail lights weren't needed as a warning to drivers behind you, they wouldn't be built into vehicles.

Bubba_Hemi said:
uring the day it may not be as visible as you'd like, but at night it's still very much visible.
Call me crazy but I always figured that taillights should work both during the the night and DAY.

Bubba_Hemi said:
If he used the correct stuff... then it doesn't hinder the light coming out of it.
I disagree. Black spraypaint on red lenses will reduce the light being emitted. This is simple science.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
canyonD said:
Not sure how you determined the tv screen setup to be configured that way, but I still believe it to be a major hazard.
"Three 4” color TV’s perfect size for their purpose built in where your rearview mirror USED TO BE. For each waterproof camera its on monitor."

canyonD said:
I think that arguement would be laughed out of the courtroom. If tail lights weren't needed as a warning to drivers behind you, they wouldn't be built into vehicles.
I'm not saying it's ok to just remove your tail lights... obviously they're needed on there.

canyonD said:
Call me crazy but I always figured that taillights should work both during the the night and DAY.
They do work... they just may not be as bright.

canyonD said:
I disagree. Black spraypaint on red lenses will reduce the light being emitted. This is simple science.
Black spray paint will... and if that's what he used, then he's a dumbass. However if he used NiteShades as he should of, then it's just a spray on tint.

How bout this... we get some people in here that have NiteShaded their tail lights. I never did do mine as the dumb box who was getting it for me isn't worth much and never got me a second can.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
Canyon, weren't you the guy advocating banning spinners because they spun and distracted 90 year old men pulling up to 4 way stops?

Search Light

Fully remote control search light. You can turn it on and rotate it left/right/up/down from the inside or away from the Durango. This light has been one of the greatest features, facilitated my travels and is fun to demonstrate. It is a safety device and hunting companion. It is built into the hood…you won’t find a second vehicle with this set-up.
UH OH, that might like, blind people on the otherside of the road, that is a SAFETY HAZARD

how can people drive with these "light" things on their vehicles, blinding everyone else on the road?!

and I'm sure you have a full roll cage, 5 point harness, racing seats, kill switches, suspension, wheels, and tires to drive your durango offroad right?

stock suspension/tires/seats/restraints are not intended for off road use and could seriously injure you or passengers while off-roading

I mean, you could injure someone and they could sue the pants off of your legs because you didn't use proper safety equipment

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in with the taillight issue. Here in Maryland if you run into the back of someone whether they have any lights or not you are at fault. You and only you should have control of your vehicle at all times. The person you hit will get ticketed for not having proper lights but in court you hit them you are at fault.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Chauncy said:
Canyon, weren't you the guy advocating banning spinners because they spun and distracted 90 year old men pulling up to 4 way stops?

UH OH, that might like, blind people on the otherside of the road, that is a SAFETY HAZARD

how can people drive with these "light" things on their vehicles, blinding everyone else on the road?!

and I'm sure you have a full roll cage, 5 point harness, racing seats, kill switches, suspension, wheels, and tires to drive your durango offroad right?

stock suspension/tires/seats/restraints are not intended for off road use and could seriously injure you or passengers while off-roading

I mean, you could injure someone and they could sue the pants off of your legs because you didn't use proper safety equipment

well said :rck: i remember him also from other conversation . he does not like anything or anybody that likes to make changes or drive over 60 . everybody is very dangerous on the road except him.. :SHK:

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Replacing a rearview mirrow with 4 different video monitors mounted on your windshield seems like an obvious distration (especially with a dvd stream option).

Any spray that darkens your tailight would reduce the light coming from it. This seems counterintuitive to the basic function of a tailight.

The high speed comments related to someone that wanted to drive a Durango at speeds over 110 MPH (not 60 mph).

The spinner debate was prompted by a state senator in Iowa (not a 90 year old man). Spinners do give the illusion of a stationary car being moving. They are considered to be a visual distraction my many.

You are welcome to debate with facts and logic, but a couple of you are being misleading with your misquotes and stupid comments.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.