DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you probably know, several manufacturers are installing "black box" recording devices into new vehicles...I know GM does along with Ford, but I cant seem to find anything about Dodge vehicles...anyone know if our trucks are equipped?...if so I plan to find a way to disable or erase such information or at least alter what is recorded, im sure alot of people would be interested in a way to disable them without shutting off the airbags or any other safety features they are tied into

I can just imagine: Im driving down the highway with a speed limit of 70mph, however I choose to drive with the flow of traffic which happens to be 85mph when all of a sudden I am involved in a collision...fast foreward a week ahead, I get a call from my insurance company: Im sorry sir, but it has been decided that you claim will not be covered due to the fact that you were exceeding the speed limit and driving in an unsafe manner :VHOT:

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
OnStar, and with it the "little black box", will be standard in all Chrysler Group vehicles beginning in model year '08......... from what I have been told.

Personally, I don't want it either.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
As far as insurance using that info, it is a matter of when not if. On top of the black boxes (which have already been used in courts and thrown out thus far) you have software in the optional equipment. Cadillac and several luxury autos record the last few everything. It is very similar to helicopters equiped with intellistart or the new Eurocopter version that records flight data to be used for diagnosis. Believe me when there is an accident, the insurance company gets to see all of that before any decisions are made. Almost like having on tape.

Several software designers already have apps in the making that allow for tracking via OnStar and GPS (similar to a cell phone GPS tracking). By using this they are able to determine your risk as a driver (how often you drive, what time, average speed, etc)and decide if you should have to pay the a higher rate or not. I look for it to begin by the end of next year from what I have been reading.

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
FreeLantz said:
OnStar, and with it the "little black box", will be standard in all Chrysler Group vehicles beginning in model year '08......... from what I have been told.

Personally, I don't want it either.
Will it be onstar or some DC variant?

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
sgrizzle said:
Will it be onstar or some DC variant?
My apologies, it seems I was misinformed..... when I tried to verify the info I heard originally, now I am told that this is not happening, yet.

DCX wants something like OnStar, but doesn't want to pay GM to use it's existing service...

Hopefully that will keep this out of our Chrysler Group vehicles for a while longer.

GM will make OnStar standard equipment on all of it's new cars and truck beginning next year.

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
Onstar seem like a good idea...directions, unlocking doors, actual emergency, but I don't like the thought of them knowing how fast i'm going and other info being used against me.....

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
:D O come on.....its free for the first year.........

did I show you my new oceanfront property in Arizona?

The way to keep this crap out is to not buy vehicles with it. Unfortunately most people put up with alot of crap, and like cool little gadgets....like OnStar; Especially when it comes to software or technology. Consumers have become an unpaid beta testing program.

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
It's a great thing for emergencies but, big brother sucks. Unfortunately, it's coming whether we like it or not. Car and Driver had an article last year about the black boxes in cars. Most of them are set to remember 5 units of time before impact. Whether it's 5 secs, 5mins, or 5 hrs. It's all decided on the manufacturer. Majority of them only use the last 5 seconds. They had a story about how some guy hit a van while it was backing out of a driveway and he killed the driver and injured a passenger. When asked how fast he was going, he said maybe 40, in a 35. But they used the black box and 5 seconds before impact, he was doing 75 and didn't hit the breaks til 1 2 seconds before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here in NY the black boxes were used to convict two teenagers for killing a young couple in an accident. The two kids were drag racing each other and hit and destroyed a Jeep Chrokee killing a young couple inside. The 17 year old kid was driving a new Corvette (can't remember what the other car was but they were both spoiled little rich kids $$$) and denied excessive speed. They used the black boxes at trial to show that they were doing over 100 mph at the time of impact. Ouch. I believe they each got 3 years.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
A provincial police officer here in Ontario, Canada mention that these have been in some manufactured vehicles for at least 12 years. They can record your speed, seatbelt engagement, location of where the vehicle was hit on impact, airbag deployment etc. Great for the insurance companies. This actually came out in our local paper 5 years ago.

·
3rd RAM = 2012 2500 Mega
103 Posts
I did a site a couple years back for a guy who third parties the collection of the data from the black box for the insurance companies. He showed the process to me. Pretty cool.

http://www.blackboxdata.com/

-Erik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.