DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a regional gas station around here called Stinker. I like to fill up there b/c they're the same price as everyone else, but each one of their grades has one more octane than the other stations (i.e. regular is 90). However, their fuel contains ethanol. When I was talking to someone about how I usually fill up there, they said they don't b/c their fuel contains ethanol.

What are the possible risks of running a gas that contains ethanol? If any?

·
Registered
360 Posts
E10 - 10% ethanol and 90% unleaded gasoline

E10 is approved for use in any make or model of vehicle sold in the U.S. Many automakers recommend its use because of its high performance, clean-burning characteristics.

You can learn more here: http://www.ethanol.org/

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
every gas station I've filled up with here in socal has been E10

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
not sure but if you live in Idaho you might watch out for ethanol fuel in the summer at altitudes. Check into it. Also see what the dealer (dodge) says about it.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
lassenloop said:
There is a regional gas station around here called Stinker. I like to fill up there b/c they're the same price as everyone else, but each one of their grades has one more octane than the other stations (i.e. regular is 90). However, their fuel contains ethanol. When I was talking to someone about how I usually fill up there, they said they don't b/c their fuel contains ethanol.

What are the possible risks of running a gas that contains ethanol? If any?
Only 100% gasoline for me and I will gladly pay slightly more for it. I'll leave the pee water for someone else to burn.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I don't use that so called pee water either. I learned my lesson a few years back. I live in western Colorado and took a trip to Nebraska. Doing so takes you over A few high mountain passes here in Co. On the way back my truck tried to over heat and vapor lock (did ) it bucked and farted etc... All because I bought that piss water in Nebraska on the way home. I had never had that problem before or after that. No more pee pee water for me. I found that even though the octane is rated higher it turns to vapor at a lower temp (causing vapor lock) also I have heard it may not run in the injection system as well on newer vehicles. :soapbox:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You guys are right. You gotta do a special tune for ethanol. If you don't, you are gonna have a loss of power and other problems.

On these trucks, forget about it.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Newer vehicles can easily handle up to 10% ethanol use. My fuel devlieries at the gas station contain no more than 9.8%E. An average delivery contains 9.4%E. If you have an older vehicle (pre 1990's), your best to run on straight gasoline. Most fuel retailers, however, are switching over to 10%E. Most new stations built, sell only E blended gas. The only positive side of E is to decrease emissions and help out the global warming problem. If you let it sit in the fuel tank for prolonged periods it will form deposits throughout the fuel system. I use 10%Ethanol gasoline in most of my vehicles. Same performance as non ethanol gas. My '92 dodge spirit ran mostly on E-gas, all the way up to 205 000miles before the frame rusted thru.

The garage beside my station hates to see old, restored vehicles coming in for service in early spring because the engine runs rough. The idiotic owner should've removed the fuel before storing the vehicle anyway! Don't forget; ethanol is a refined starch (generally corn/soybean based)! Soon, it'll be cheaper to run on beer :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
dodgefan360 said:
If you let it sit in the fuel tank for prolonged periods it will form deposits throughout the fuel system.
Unfortunetly all we can get is E10 here in socal so if i let fuel sit in my dirtbike it turns my carburator to green muck if i dont run fuel stabilizer. Carb jobs on the new four-strokes arent fun either, not quite as simple as the old round-slide Mikunis.

·
mope
531 Posts
How do you tell what % Ethanol your gas station has?

·
Registered
994 Posts
first, ethanol is NOT starch! It is grain alcohol--the same stuff found on liquor store shelves, but processed differently after distillation to remove the 10% water it azeotropes with for use in fuels. As for the content at your gas station, pumps should be labeled with something like "this pump contains oxygenated fuel....not more than XX%" You will most likely find it during the winter months and in large cities (year-round). The other common oxygenator is MTBE (methyl t-butyl ether), though it is currently being phased out because it is a horrible pollutant, carcinogen, and is linked to birth defects.

You will not find more than 10% oxygenator in any US fuel because they increase the rate of corrosion in the fuel system and engine components, and US-spec vehicles are not currently designed to handle the increased corrosion load.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I run E10 in my Hemi w/o any problems whatsoever.

·
StreetRods Rule
482 Posts
Ethanol is a high octane, water free alcohol produced from the fermentation of sugar or converter starch. It is used as a blending ingredient in gasoline or as a raw material to produce high octane fuel ether additives. Ethanol is made from grains, mainly corn, or other renewable agricultural or forestry products such as wood, brewery waste, potatoes, cheese whey, paper waste, beets, or vegetable wastes.

found this on a website, its a good read.
http://www.nwicc.com/pages/continuing/business/ethanol/Module5.htm

·
He he he he...huh?
662 Posts
Minnesota has E85 (85% Ethanol, 15% Gasoline). We have run it in my wife's Explorer for a few months now. It is about $0.75 cheaper per gallon than gasoline. We did lose just a tad on mileage (maybe 5-10 miles per fill-up) so overall I feel it is good. FYI, the Ford Explorer is designed to run specifically on E85 if you chose to do so, there is a little sticker in the gas door. I still run straight premium gasoline in my Powerwagon.

Regards,
Abrams

·
StreetRods Rule
482 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.