DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any know if there are any ethanol conversion kits out there for our trucks?

· Registered
22 Posts
There probably are, but I don't know why anyone would want less gas mileage than they already get. Not to mention the risk of breaking components that weren't built to ever see E85.

· I am Sean Connery...
8,819 Posts
I would actually suggest, if it's possible in this country, going to LPG. Doesn't harm the trucks and makes them easier to fill. Talk to LPGHemi if you're interested.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Supposedly there are some for sale on ebay but most experts say BS. There is no easy conversion.

· Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
I'm in class with a guy that has a LPG Quad Cab. Haven't had the chance to ask him about it though. I bet he's not feeling the strain right now....

· Registered
135 Posts
There are several options. Take look at the 4.7 based FlexFuel models and see some of the differences.

Lower prices and a couple of mods to my 07 4.7 and I come out a couple of dollars less per tank on E85. In some states its nearly a buck a gallon cheaper. I get about 2-3 mpg lower and I pay 40 cents per gallon less here in Texas. When I was in Colorado this summer I was paying 80 cents per gallon cheaper. I get a little more power and I lose less mileage when I tow vs E10 pump fuel.

· Registered
185 Posts
there have been many tests done on non e85 ready vehicles and the only things they had to change were the rubber fuel lines, spark plugs and some had to have someone adjust the pcm not sure if our trucks are smart enough to figure out this stuff but im sure sct or superchips ect.. will be working on something in the near future.

as for more power when towing HELL YEAH 105 octane vrs 89.90.91......

· Registered
178 Posts
It's not just rubber that needs changing. Aluminum will be corroded just not at the fast rate rubber does. Metals treated with magnessium become vulnerable. The biggest problem lies in the fact ethanol[and almost all other grain alcohols] will carry a charge. The potential is a ruptured line, wherein the fuel is carrying a charge from the pump or other source[return trip], finds a ground and arcs the current.
++-----warning do not read the following if you dislike rants--------++
:soapbox:
++-----I said don't! Please? OK fine ------------------++
Personally I would never do it until the country gets itself out of the pockets of lobbyists. ADM spend tons, and I mean tons of cash to keep corn making money for them. Corn is actually one of the worst crops for grain alcohol[yield and field value wise]. Ironically what ADM made billions on was saving the sugar crisis[that hasn't been a crisis for decades, viva la corn syrup], and that cane is one of the best ways to produce grain alcohol.
Now a better approach is upping the E10[10%] to 20-25% across the board, adding a much smaller amount of lead than the good old fuel and getting rid of the use of MTBE. The lead is a great lubricant and coater and would help carry the extra ethenol with almost no modifications.
++------curiosity got you huh! Dang that cat :crazy: ---------++

· Registered
135 Posts
Corn is the available method for now. There are several biomass options in the mix that will provide better ratios.

Oil spends 6 times as much to lobby than the ethanol and ag folks combined. The other rant is about water usage. It takes 5 times as much water to refine a gallon of unleaded gas than it does to make a gallon of ethanol from corn. The gasoline water by product remains toxic for many years.

Corn isn't perfect and neither is ethanol. It's just another step in the right direction. you can burn gasoline cleaner than you can make electricity in most cases. I just don't like the people we empower when we buy gasoline. I much prefer seeing the money go into local interests.

We can find all kinds of little topics to debate back and forth. I like ethanol occasionally when the economies and needs permit. My truck is a mediocre FFV, I think the 08 and newer 4.7 will be a better ethanol burner due to higher compression.

Its nice to have the variety.

· Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
to keep up with corn based fuel, you'd probably need a farm the size of Texas, and maybe Alaska too. Plus, I'm not so keen on paying nearly triple for any products made of corn just so I can fuel my truck or whatever else I might have. They need a better solution.

Personally, I'd be all for a nuclear powered truck.... :rck:

· Registered
10 Posts
Hate to tell you guys that want to argue oil company versus agriculture company this. But as a farm worker a vast majority of agri. land is now owned by the oil companies. And just give it 2 more years and you will be paying the same rate increase on food prods. that you are now paying on gas do to goverenment subsids. on grain crop for ethanol since the main production will change from feed grain to fuel.

· Registered
178 Posts
MTS44 said:
Hate to tell you guys that want to argue oil company versus agriculture company this. But as a farm worker a vast majority of agri. land is now owned by the oil companies. And just give it 2 more years and you will be paying the same rate increase on food prods. that you are now paying on gas do to goverenment subsids. on grain crop for ethanol since the main production will change from feed grain to fuel.
Shhhh! That's a whole other can of worms and subsequent rants.
Isn't it nice that as taxpayers we pay for them to have even crazier profit. I could just head back to europe and, 'D'oh!' deal with the exact same thing as the EU is running the same crap there. Well someone needs to finish building the uber engine that runs on politicians[their BS or just them]. At least we have the buying power of the strong US dollar !?!
:dropjaw:
Only one thing to do :drinkn: cheers :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.