DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I took my truck into my local mech, he found two error codes but couldn't do anything about them. They where:

P0234 = Turbo Overboost Condition
P0216 = Inj Timing Control could not verify symptems at this time.

Any Advice?

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Never herd of the turbo over boost. im putin out 32psi of boost out of my stock turbo and it hasnt thrown any codes. And im not sure bout the other code. i would have to do sone research.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason i took it in was because when it is warm, like it has been, my truck acts like the turbo isn't working. its really slow to speed up. after about a mile or so the turbo kicks in like someones swtiching on a light and won't ever happen again. Until the truck has been sitting overnite. But it doesn't do it in the winter, I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey so i throw the same codes,hit about 28Psi.It only throws those codes when i am traveling.No idea what causes it,I just plug my programmer in and reset it and its fine for about another week.Ill keep watching this thread and see if anyone has any answers.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If the motor is stock, the overboost is likely due to the wastegate on the turbo stuck closed. The turbo will need to be removed and the wastegate freed up.
If the motor isn't stock and bigger injectors are installed, the code will be set because of the increase in exhaust pressure, more than the wastegate can relieve.

The P0216 is either your last chance to save your $1200 injector pump from an early demise due to the lack of sufficient cooling & lubricating fuel...the need of a new lift pump
OR
it's too late and start saving up for a new injector Pump AND a new lift pump.

Check the fuel pressure at the valve with the black cap on the side of your injector pump...check my gallery.

Stock replacement pumps are available at NAPA and at Freightliner dealers (listed as the Campain pump for school buses w/ 5.9l ISB Cummins).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man I told that dirt ball mech that it was the waste gate. The injector bit is news to me, but damn thanks for all the info. Hopefully I can save it.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Don't be hard on yer wrench...everything isn't carburetors and points type ignition anymore...a 24 valve Cummins just wrecks most folks nowadays.

Come to think of it, a faulty MAP sensor can pop this P0234 code too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just posted this in response to another question about the 0216 code.

Here is a link to another forum I am on where they are discussing the P0216 code.

http://dieselram.com/forum/ubbthrea...694&Words=0216&topic=0&Search=true#Post274565

code - P0216 injection timing circuit malfunction, Low lift pump pressure, air in the fuel, restriction in the feed line can all cause a 0216 code. Also seen bad batterys cause it too. 98% of the time the 216 code is certain death for the VP44 injection pump At this point I would check fuel pressure from the LP pump specs should 14 idle , 10 to 12 cruise with no less than 8 at WOT.

Here is a website to check on codes, as it says in the link it is mostly for 99-01 but I am sure they would have them for other years. I hope this helps everybody.

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/99-01trk.shtml

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Howdy Trollwzrd, good to see you here. Captain Cummins stops here regular too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Clunk. You caught me! Now you know where I get my info from for these other forums. Glad to know that i am not the only one that bounces between forums. I need to learn as much as I can about these trucks, and can't do that without getting different opinions and pick a lot of brains. Got to go with the best "CUMMINS"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK So I shouldn't be tough on the mech, got it. But how can I prevent this from taking place in the future, is it fuel, or what?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.