DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2002 Intrepid with 93k miles on it. Yesterday as I was driving to work the check engine light came on and when I get to about 2300 rpm the engine starts shaking violently and won't allow the engine to exceed 2500 rpm. I took it to autozone and had them read the code and it came up as P0016 Crankshaft Correlation Sensor. Does anyone have any idea on what this means? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
246 Posts
I found this for a 2003 intrepid
P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT
When Monitored: Engine cranking and Engine running
Set Condition: Powertrain Control Module detects an error when the camshaft position is
out of phase with the crankshaft position.:huh:

Basically means the vehicle has "jumped timing" or the timing belt/chain is stretched allowing the cam and crankshaft to get out of sync.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is interesting Tech_John. Would that explain why the car operates normally up to 2300 rpm. Its at that point the chain is not tight enough to keep them synced? Also for future reference, where did you find that information?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
79 Posts
What engine do you have in your car? A 3.5??......I was looking for faults for a 2.7.....I did find P0016 fault under the 3.5 engine faults. So I would have to say that you have a 3.5 engine to get that fault code. 3.5 liter engine has a timing belt. Like Tech_John said poss timing belt out of time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well first you would have to pull off the the front timing belt covers and see if the belt is out of time. If it is out of time you need to fix it. Look at the JPEG I posted, all the dots need to line up. Crank the engine over by hand and line up the crank gear mark and see if the cam gears are in the right spots. Maybe buy a repair manual to walk you thought the steps if you are going to do it yourself. I would recommend replacing the water pump as well if it hasn't been replaced before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.