DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"I'll go all in."
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a bit of a dilemma... I can buy a 400/727 combo for $400 and was thinking about do that but what all would be needed as far as the trans/transfer case/driveshafts go? I already have motor mounts.

The 400/727 was out of a car and my truck is an 84 w150. Would I just have to swap tail shafts to get it to bolt up to my transfer case? Or do I need a different transfer case?

Any info on a swap woud be greatly appreciated... because although my 360 runs good(minus the over heating prob I'm in the process of fixing)... I know the rear main seal is leaking, the trans is leaking(turns the snow under the truck a pretty pink color:D), and possibly a few other seals.

What do you think, invest in a swap of some sort or just fix the good'ole 360?

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
A competent trans guy can convert the car trans in a 4x4 trans using the 360 trans as a donor. It is more involved than just swapping tailshafts, so I wouldn't recommend you try it yourself. Other than that, you'd need to do some minor wiring changes and probably have a muffler shop hook up the exhaust. Pretty simple.

·
"I'll go all in."
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the drive shafts? Anybody have any info on that?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Would I just have to swap tail shafts to get it to bolt up to my transfer case? Or do I need a different transfer case?
This should be fairly easy. You have the engine mounts.

Transmission? The major components will have to come apart i.e. drop the valve body, remove the front pump, drums, in order to get to the tail shaft. Once the tail shaft is swapped over you will use your current tail shaft housing so the transfer case adaptor can be bolted up.

What about the drive shafts? Anybody have any info on that?
Your current shafts should bolt right back in.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
You also need a rear sump oil pan and pickup

No replacement for displacement...:)

·
"I'll go all in."
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was kinda of wondering about the pan... I'm going this weekend to take a look at the motor/tranny combo.

Thanks for the info guys, but I still a bit confused on the tranny?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, but I still a bit confused on the tranny?
The only major difference between a big and small block 727 is the bell housing bolt pattern.

You are wanting to put 727 out of a car (2WD) and install it in a truck (4WD). The car transmission tail shaft will be to long and you will not need the aluminum extention housing.

You will have to disassemble the major components to remove the longer tail shaft out of the car transmission. You also will not be using the long tail shaft extension housing either.

You will have to disassemble the current tramsmission in your truck to remove the shorter tail (output shaft) that it has. Put that in the car transmission.

You even could put the longer tail shaft out of the car and tail shaft extension housing in the small block transmission to sell to recover some money.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Basically you are going to transform the big block car trans into a big block 4x4 trans, using the guts and tailshaft housing from your small block 4x4 trans.

When you see the car trans you will under the difference in length and tailshaft housings.

·
Registered
537 Posts
using the guts and tailshaft housing from your small block 4x4 trans.
No need to swap the internals. There the same. He needs the tail shaft. His current transmission doesn't really have a tail shaft housing either per sey. It's actually a transfer case adaptor.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you're gonna go to the trouble of swapping tailshafts out ( which is necessary ), I would recommend springing a few extra bucks and put in a good shift kit. Tranny's already out, wouldn't take but a few minutes. You will probly want to change the filter too, so you're more than 1/2 way there.

·
Registered
537 Posts
put in a good shift kit. Tranny's already out,
Actually, no need to pull the transmission to do a shift kit. Just a matter of removing the pan and dropping the valve body. I would assume an overhaul would be in line with the transmission disassembled though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I realize there is no need to pull the trans to put in a shift kit, but..... he's already doing work on the trans, this would be a good time to do a couple more minutes work, flip the trans over on the bench, and put it in.

·
Registered
537 Posts
flip the trans over on the bench, and put it in.
Not wanting to get into a whizzing match here but the transmission will have to be totally disassembled of the major components already if you have read along. The valve body would already be on the bench. No need to complicate the obvious. ;)

It will also take longer than a couple of minutes for the valve body modification I assure you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.