DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 1500 RAm pick up with a 5.7 motor. Can someone tell me what the timing is supposed to be and how to set it or change it?

·
Banned
162 Posts
Your truck has a 5.9 rite? Because the 5.7 wasnt available until 03 :D.

·
Registered
590 Posts
engine timing is on the ECM (acutally called Fuel Sync) ya need a scanner and unless you changed the cam its set at ~+1/0. this is done my moving the distributor a tad. your crank sensor send the signal via a reluctor to the ECM for this. you can tweak the crank senosr position a bit to change it tho not reccomended as it might freak out the ECM and put ya in limp mode.

·
Registered
590 Posts
ardc70 said:
Thanks. So you can't use a timing light?
What does the ~+1/0 mean?

nope, sorry. need a starscan or its equal. +1/0 is when the injectors fire. sorta equal to degrees of piston before TDC, IIRC.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
The reason why he said no and must use a starscan what he is trying to say is the PCM is always correcting the timing .... straight from the manual ....CAUTION: Base ignition timing is not adjustable on
any engine. (refering to the 5.9L) Distributors do not have built in centrifugal
or vacuum assisted advance. Base ignition
timing and timing advance are controlled by the
Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Because a conventional
timing light can not be used to adjust distributor
position after installation, note position of
distributor before removal.

go download a the service manual off of Hemitruckclub.com for an 03 .. it has the 5.9L in the manual which will give you alot of info for your engine. ... you will see the manuals on the left side and do save target as instead of trying to open because it is a very large file in PDF .. Enjoy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.