DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 cummins, in the mornings when its a little bit chilly, like between 30-50 degrees, the truck ticks. It seems like its got the same interval of time between each tick. Is this normal for a diesel in colder weather? or is there a problem i need to look in to? The tick is fairly loud and can be heard in the cab.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know when it below freezing. You can hear the injectors, it sounds like a buzz to me and usually goes away within 15 seconds. Hope this helps

·
Registered
208 Posts
could be that the valves need to be adjusted

·
Registered
21 Posts
the tick

What you're most likely hearing is valve train noise. When cold, push rods shrink, valve length shrinks and tolerances change... add oil drain down... lack of oil in quantity within the system (tappet to pushrod to rocker to valve), there's a lot of room to make noise. For what it's worth, nothing within the engine is within operating specifications until it's hot... doesn't mean you need a valve check... it simply means you've a little start up noise. My opinion, you're fine..... just let a little oil get where it needs to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.