DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi that runs perfectly fine. I’m wanting to pull that motor and drop it into an 06 Ram 1500 that has a bad motor. I’ve been told this should be a pretty simple swap as far as engine swapping goes since they’re both Gen 3 and both have the same exact motor. Anyone able to confirm or deny, and any other advice would be nice too.
thanks

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well, there are two differences. One, the 2006 engine, if out of a 1500, has MDS (the 2005 did not) and two, the 2006 1500 had a TIPM (Totall Integrated Power Module) vs the IPM (Integrated Power Module) in the 2005. 2006 was the first model year where the TIPM was introduced as well as the MDS system. But otherwise the 2005 should bolt right up to the 2006 transmission.

·
Red Trucker
2,629 Posts
IPM/TIPM will have nothing to do with it. As mentioned, the 05 engine will not have MDS; that won't stop it from running just fine in the 06 except that the PCM will be unhappy when it goes to engage MDS and can't. You would need a tuner to turn off MDS in the PCM. Otherwise it's a drop in except maybe for some sensors that are harness/CAN bus specific and different from the 05.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts