DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo. My friend has a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500. He would like to do a swap from a 3.9 V6 to a engine from a Dodge Coronet 440. I don’t know what kind of odd idea it was but he was talking like it was going to benefit the human population.
From what I know is that he has a 300 something horsepower engine that might be a 7.0 litre V8. He also was talking about a 2-5 inch lift along with a 4 inch body lift. He would use this as a off road drag truck. He thinks up ideas like this all the time but this time he had like a 45 minute conversation on how he would do this

Here are some other ideas for this truck that he made a while ago
Having a engine from a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302
Lifting this thing up 1 foot and a 6 inch body lift
And so much more

If this would actually be a great idea then tell me. If it sounds like something even crazier than the Boss 302 engine then that would also be cool.
Thanks in advance

·
Red Trucker
1,969 Posts
It would be a fun truck to drive....provided you had a transmission that would survive behind it and didn't want anything like gauges, etc in the interior to work right. If it's our of a Coronet and only about 300hp then it's most likely a 383. 7 liters Mopar would only be a 426; as I doubt your friend has a 2G hemi at only 300hp, it would have to be a fairly detuned Wedge 426 to meet that dispalcement (440 is 7.2L and no version of a 440 makes that little power until 1972). Still a better idea than a Boss 302; Boss engines were designed with huge ports and large valves because they're high RPM engines designed for racing with fairly light cars.....the exact opposite of a '95 Ram. Personally, both of these ideas are shit unless its strictly offroad/rock climber. For a driver, stroke out a Magnum 360 (an available engine that year) to a 408. Bolts in, everything bolts to it and all you have to do is figure out how to tune it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. It’s the 7.2 440 Wedge 426 that he has. If I could figure out gauges, transmission, and what lift I could use to fit Kenda tires. Provided all that I might do it. And to my 96 Ram 1500

·
Red Trucker
1,969 Posts
Yeah. It’s the 7.2 440 Wedge 426 that he has. If I could figure out gauges, transmission, and what lift I could use to fit Kenda tires. Provided all that I might do it. And to my 96 Ram 1500
So which is it? 426 wedge OR 440? Same engine family, two very different engines. Lift would be whatever services your suspension, though it would need stronger springs up front for the sheer weight of the engine; the only comparable weight engine that year is the truck V10. Gauges won't work because all inputs go through the PCM; that PCM ain't controlling an RB. You'd need custom gauges but still have to satisfy other electronic components. Only sane workaround I see here is if you EFI the big block and use a custom burned/tuned (those early units are iffy) PCM to run the engine. This way ti would still interface with the truck, stock gauges would work (still need to work out electronic speedo) though the norms would be quite different. The only bolt on trans that would survive it is a big block case 727. You could use an A518 (46RH) which is a small block case 727 with an overdrive. Just as strong, easy to wire up but you'd need a bellhousing adapter.
Honestly, for all the work involved, I'd just use a 408 (stroked out 360). It bolts in, you should be able to run it on a custom PCM so it still works within the truck's electrical system and it makes big block power. Ultimately your choice. Have fun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the confusion. It is the 426 Wedge. I really thought that it was the 440. But I could do the custom PCM.
My ram is a 96 and you guys can read on the thread somewhere. I might do it on my truck also. So if this does not work out then I could do it on mine (it is a possible yes!). Soon I need to find something to do with the Dakota, try to not buy another car, and do all this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts