DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here it is . I want to swap my 95 2.0 sohc for something bigger (of course). I have read about the 2.4 dohc w turbo swap (anyone with a very detailed how to please send). I have also read about a magnum engine swap. Stupid question time, what is a magnum engine? Is it a 3rd gen neon engine? What would be a better choice for (of course) Hp and tourque?

·
Registered
493 Posts
The 2.4L that comes with a turbo? Only available on SRT-4's and PT Cruisers, and not an easy swap at all.

The naturally aspirated 2.4L is readily available, relatively easy to swap, and takes to turbocharging very well. Very popular swap. For details, go to neons.org and read through the archives and stickied posts BEFORE asking questions.

The "magnum" engine is found in the 2001-up Neon R/T's and ACR's. It has 150 HP vs the regular 128 HP SOHC engine. It uses the same block, same pistons. The head has huge exhaust ports (slightly offset from the regular SOHC), and a more aggressive camshaft (and valves to match). The intake manifold is a dual runner design (hence the term "Magnum", just like the V8 couterparts with the same name). For the most part, it's a direct swap for your SOHC engine. You'll need a 2nd gen starter, exhaust manifold/header that fits, and a few sensors to swap over. If you want to use the Magnum intake manifold, you'll have to rig some way for the butterflies to open at a particular RPM... Turbochargind the SOHC/Magnum is easy enough as well...

The best bang for your buck will be to buy a used regular 2.4L engine, build it up for forced induction, and turbocharge it. Keep in mind, you'll need a new clutch, new axles, preferably a limited slip, etc., etc., etc...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you greatly. That is what I thought. I do plan on changing everything (part of the total project).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.