DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i blew the engine in my truck and i found a 5.7 to replace mine at a price thats near impossible to pass up.. But the only problem is its a 2011 with MDS obviously and mine is an 05 with no MDS and need to know if my computer will still run the motor? (Yes i know MDS wouldnt work.. Dont care if i wanted a v6 i would buy a car) i talked to acouple guys at the dealership and they seem to think the harness will run it but might need to swap my plugwires/coils ? I just like to know 100% before i get into a headache :help:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
the 2009 and up engines have a VVT cam. the heads, cam, intake, all that stuff is going to be different.
Can it be locked out? I don't know, the engine is a totally different animal that the 03-08 hemi.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Crap, that is a going to be a mess. Coilpacks and such.. heck I'm not sure but the CANBUS wiring might have a few added plugs/sensors that may need monitoring and not do as you need.

you can't get the entire harness/PCM from the donor truck?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The garage brought it in for another truck and ended up not needing it, now just wants to get rid of it, it has under 8000km and the price is hard to pass up.. Id have to call where they got it to try and find the harness but thats getting into a whole other headache

·
Registered
815 Posts
You won't be able to use a VVT engine in your '05. I've tried going the other way and there are too many differences. It will physically fit, but the entire timing setup is different, and no, you can't swap the pre-eagle timing set, the mounting bosses are different.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what i mean, i was only going that route if i could have ran it off the 05 harness, im not willing to buy and swap a harness out, well thanks for the help guys i had aFeeling it wouldnt work. I have access to another 5.7 out of an 05 with more on it obviously just the thought of a 2011 thats pretty close to brand new was too tempting not to look into lol :cheers:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are your old heads still in ok shape? I'm not sure if the top end of your motor is good but if so does anybody know if you can just use the short block? If you can use the short block then it might work. You'll need to swap everything from the heads up if so, but it might work.

Maybe somebody can confirm?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.