DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm new here. this is my first post. well, my dad has 1996 dodge ram 2500 with the 5.9 V-8. the truck started stalling maybe a few weeks ago. when we would be driving, the truck would completely shut off, before shutting off, the rpm would drop down to 500 rpm. we then would give it gas, it would try to come back but then would just die out. when we try to start it, i would crank but won't start. we'd disconnect and reconnect the coil distributor, the bottom wire, (i'm pretty that is what it's called, it has two wires connecting it, one on top and one on bottom. the top connector is like the end of a spark plug.) after doing that, it would start right up. while trying to start it, we get this engine oil smell. we've changed the coil distributor and still does it. the check engine light isn't on. any ideas what could be causing this? thanks

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
A couple of things could be causing this. First thing would be the Crank Sensor. The CS sends a signal to the computer telling it at what position the pistons are at and the computer controls ignition timing and spark. If the CS goes bad, the engine will stop running. You could be having an intermittent problem.

Another thing could be the Throttle Position Sensor or TPS. The TPS measures how far the throttle is being opened and sends a signal to the computer which adjust fuel and air accordingly. If the TPS starts to fail, the engine won't run properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think it's the tps because it sometimes stalls while the engine is just sitting there idleing. the crank sensor. how would i be able to tell if it's bad? and where is located. you know what, also, how would i tell if the tps is bad? i'll just go ahead and check that out. thank you

oh yeah, forgot to mention. my dad would slightly increase the rpm to about 800-950rpm, then it would be fine for about a few days, then it will start stalling again. i don't know how low the rpm get before adjusting it.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I'd say it could be a problem with the Idle Air Control motor (IAC), but you said it stalls while driving as well.

The crank sensor should be located on top of the transmission bellhousing....might be a pain to get to.

You really can't adjust the idle since it's all computer controlled...well you can, but you really shouldn't mess with that.

·
Registered
362 Posts
How many miles are on it? Could be a Cat. Conv. plugged. Heard similar stories that ended with a plugged cat. Mine went bad and just broke up sending pieces out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's 1996 and the cat was clogged one time. we were running w/out it for while. but we eventually put it back on because it was time for it's smog. it currently has 96,000 miles.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You put a new cat on or the old clogged cat?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You put a new cat on or the old clogged cat?
we put a new cat on her. Dodgevanman, i told my dad about the crank sensor. he said that he already changed that. his going to change the other sensors you mentioned. thank for youf help guys. i'll update on what happens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just reading through some of the posts here and thought I'd chime in on this one. I had the same problem a few months ago. I tried all of the obvious until I finally figured out that the <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=fuel%20filter" onmouseover="window.status='fuel filter'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">fuel filter</a> (sock) was the problem. I had been running the tank low to try and estimate my fuel mileage and the crap in the gas that we are forced to buy built up on the sock. I pulled the tank, took apart the pump assy. (Not recommended unless you really know what you are doing) and cleaned it all. I cleaned out the tank, refilled with an inline filter and viola! Good to go ever since. It's not that bad of a job, but if you don't have access to a lift, the tank is a monster to drop. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Also, you mentioned that it would run for a few days and start again... any chance that you refueled each time. If I put gas in when it was acting up, it would run fine again until it got low.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys, we changed the crank sensor and my dad reports of it still stalling. it acts up wheather it's full, half or 1/4. but we'll give the fuel thing a try. when it did this a few years ago. the check engine light was on, we checked it and the fuel pump was receiving low voltage. i'll change the fuel fitler and do the fuel tank thing. thanks alot guys for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys, today i hooked it up to the computer today right after it stalled. the computer said "Ignition Coil A Primary/ Secondary Circuit Malfunction". any ideas on what that is? and or how that can be fixed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings all. I am experiencing the same thing on my truck , I have a 1500 sport dodge ram, When I am driving the motor sometimes just turns off, it starts by all the RPMs and all other needles going dead, then the engine just shutts off, It takes al while to get it restarted or I unplug the Battery which seems to reset the engine or something, I would like to know more about this situation. I read above that it may be a Ignition coil Primary / Secondary Circuit Malfunction

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
today, my dad and i were messing with the plugs to the ignition coil. when ever we would play with the bottom plug, the truck would start idling real low and stall. my dad cut the bottom plug off and took the connector apart. the wires going into the plug/connector was real loose, while my dad was inspecting it, the green wire came right off. we reconnected it and plugged it back in. knock on wood, the truck hasn't stalled since we fixed it, which was yesterday afternoon. so it looks like it was a loose connection.

hey zac, i highly doubt your issue would be the same as mine. it looks like our truck had been messed around with. the truck had about 3500 miles when we bought it. i'd check wires anyway, move them around while she's still running, see if you notice a difference in idle. another thing you can do is play the game of elimination(spell) . change the parts/sensors mentioned in this post. other than that, good luck, and i'll keep an update on how the truck is running. hopefully that was the only problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.