DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L and every time I go to fill up and drive off my engine shuts off. It even happens when I step on the brake for the first time and turn a corner after fill up. It only happens for a short time then it stops. Does anyone have a general idea what is happening and how I can fix it. Thanks for your help with this.

·
Tape On
828 Posts
Happens to me on occasion. Fill up, drive a short distance home, then stalls backing in to driveway. Doesn't happen after that when I leave the nextday.
Then a while back, I got a code for the EGR valve. Went away after a couple of days. Related? Not sure, but I do have a new EGR ready to go in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems like the charcoal canister is getting filled with fuel. I'm assuming you fill it till it's full?

When the fuel pumps clicks off, don't keep pulling the trigger to round out the number. It fills the charcoal canister with fuel and messes with the EGR system.

I don't know if this is it, but I thought I would mention it.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
thats interesting...it's never happened to me but I never fill up...unless I know I'm taking a trip somewhere. Price of gas nowadays and using my truck as my commuter and grocery getter I don't carry the extra weight of a full tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happens to me occasionally. I have learned to stop when the pump clicks off and not try to top it all the way off getting to the nearest dollar. Also don't let the truck get below 1/4 tank then fill iy.

·
Registered
342 Posts
my 06 did it to me every single time i got gas. all i did was run a can of startron through it. sounds stupid i know but its never done it since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 04 5.7 ram. I bought mine new and its been doing it pretty much every time I fill up with the truck running. It would either run ruff or after i pull out of the station would die while at a stop light or making a turn. No power stearing in the middle of a turn can be a little hair raising. After driving a few miles it goes back to normal.

The dealer said no fault codes so no problem. They charged me to cleaned the throttle body and sent me on my way.

So my fix is to shut it off while fueling, to stop when the pump auto shuts off and not to top it off.
Its probably an issue of fuel getting into the evap system as stated before when filling or topping off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started getting evap codes when I filled up with truck running. I shut it off now. Never top off and, bought a new MOPAR gas cap. 2004 5.7 4X4. Stalling problems solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts