DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my very first Dodge for about 6 weeks now. So far so good but I see that their is a lot of rust and corrosion on the passanger side of the motor. It's kinda flaking of the cylinder head and all the exhaust manifold bolds look as if they would snap if you put a socket to it. This is kinda bothersome as I would like to put a set of headers on the little 318 and an E-Bay air intake. It looks like the air intake uses the exhaust bolts to mount a bracket, that might be a little scary. Any one else have rust and corrosion on their engine???

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
My Ram Van has some rusting of the engine block, but my van came from an coastal part of N. Carolina so I attribute it to the salt air. Plus the fact that Dodge may have used crappy engine paint. You could just wire brush the engine block down and spray it with some new engine paint.

As far as the exhaust manifold bolts...I've haven't seen any that aren't rusty. Buy a can of PB Blaster (1000% better than WD-40) and soak them down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is PB Blaster? I would bet dollars to dougnuts that them studs and bolts would strip or worse yet brake

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your probably right about the exhaust bolts breaking...I have seen this in the dealership that I work in more than once....Most of the trucks that had this problem were parked on gravel, and most gravel had an acid effect on metal...if you are parking this on gravel get it out of there...the next thing to go is going to be your brake lines....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know how different the Magnums are from the old LA blocks, but the front and rear most studs on the exhaust manifold go right through to the water jacket...so when you do your headers, if they start coming out (which they probably will) then be prepared for the coolant flow. I just replaced mine with the bolts that came with the headers and moved my ground...

Now if there is a lot more rust on one side of the engine than the other...there was probably some problem with some fluids moving around over there (coolant, a spill or something) Check around to see if everything is ok, which I imagine you have done already since you noticed the bolts.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.