Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I have not driven my truck for a couple weeks HID headlight went out.

In order to use my Warranty with HIDxtra dot com i have to trouble shoot which is the problem ballast or bulb...by switching out the bad and good with the other side..

long story short...i waited till i could have a back up bulb and time to pull everything out and test

so yesterday I did and when i tried the ballast on the good side and turned the headlights on I heard a bang and the ballast started smoking....

I turned the headlight switch off....I was done I dont know what I did...but no more testing

I put regular bulbs back in and removed the HID setup...everything worked..tightened up everything ..went to start nothing click click.....

Since the truck had not been started except for once in the last couple weeks i thought the battery was dead..so i jump started and got it running...

IT runs rough...when revving the engine and letting go of the pedal...it stalls with out keeping some gas as it is running i notice the misfiring and a little flickering of the overhead interior lights... the battery gauge shows mid range...only other thing i notice is humming from the gas tank area...Fuel pump? never heard this before...

Dont know if I fried something when the ballast went boom...I will be contacting Hidxtra dot com and expressing my concerns regarding their warranty procedure dont know if they are related hope not...

any Ideas

Thanks

Jim

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
I would go and get the charging system checked first. These trucks are super sensitive to voltage and a bad battery will play hell with the whole system.

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
Sears, Auto Zone, OReilly. Any of them should be able to help you. Just depends on whos battery you might want in there if the battery is bad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
suggestions on battery

i have a 1999 dodge intrepid with a red top going on 7 years no problem

ram has stock radio addl lighting coming hella upfront rear lights for towing..so i guess a greater capacity battery....

i hear everybody bashing the optima have they changed...

any idea on the humming noise from the rear its coming from the gas tank after crawling under the truck

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
I have in mine the Yellow top Optima, have had it since 2009 with no problems. I bought the DieHard Platinum for my wife's 98 Cherokee. I have always been a fan of the Optima batteries and not have had any problems with them, but I will probably put one of the DieHard Plats in my truck when my Optima goes out. So it all comes down to personal preference. The buzzing could be from the fuel pump not getting enough voltage to operate properly, or it could be the fuel pump going bad. I would eliminate the charging system as a culprit then go from there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
driving the truck to get the battery checked will this put strain on other areas not receiving proper voltage or am i good...distance is about 14 miles to sears battery plus 11

·
Registered
7 Posts
i feel that the humming is normal my dakota did it and now my ram. i believe its the pump its just a whine from it spinning. if it gets real bad then yeah its probably on its way out and if it isnt sending the right pressure it most likely is effecting how the cylinders fire. Mine started going and i noticed it above 3,500 rmp under a load didnt want to pickup good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
replaced battery with a sears diehard platinum all is well no more humming from the gas tank no wild fluctuations in idle or lights dimming... very interesting how a low battery performance really does mess up the rams systems thanks for information i probably went too high on the battery scale but i want to have extra power if needed

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
Can never go too big on batteries, just don't want to go too small. It is amazing how sensitive the computers on these trucks are. A little voltage fluctuation can cause allot of problems. Glad it all worked out for you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.