Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I recently moved to the USA from Australia for work and whilst here I decided to buy a van so I could do some road trips and sight seeing.

So I bought a 1992 dodge ram b250 conversion van with a 5.2L v8 engine.

When I bought it I knew it had some issues and I thought they could be easily fixed. The engine was missing , the radiator had a small leak, the muffler had a hole in it and the aircon didnt work.

So I picked it up in Gainsville FL, drove it to Orlando to collect my dog from the airport and then drove it with a bad miss to Fort Pierce where I live. I took it to the mechanic and they fixed the aircon issue, replaced two injectors, the coil, as well as giving it a 'tune up', replaced the thermostat and had to fix the steering which was very loose.

Ok, so I got it back and I replaced the radiator and the muffler and the tail pipe myself. But then I found that as soon as the van got to 40mph it would start missing. And sometimes the engine would just cut out for no apparent reason. I would have to leave the engine alone for a few minutes and then it would start again, just fine.

So I went back to the mechanic and he took it for a drive and said it was an issue with the other injectors. So I bought six injectors and fitted them myself. I thought this fixed the problem as when I got to 40mph here was no miss but then I found when I got to 50mph the miss started. ???? I also now find that when the engine id cold the engine misses a little when accelerating.

The random engine cut out was also not fixed by replacing the injectors.

So earlier this week, I decided to replace the spark plugs (which were replaced when it was tuned by the mechanic), the leads and the distributor cap and rotar. I also ordered a new fuel pressure regulator and a crankshaft sensor which I thought might be the cause of the engine cut out issue.

When I replaced the spark plugs I found that the sparkplugs looks like the engine was running a bit rich in seven of the cylinders but then in cylinder number 8 I found the park plug to be oily and had small carbon looking deposits all over it.

So I changed the plugs and it made no difference to the running of the engine. Still misses so I took the plugs to the mechanic and he is going to have a look at it an do a compression test. I n my limited knowledge of engines, I'm thinking valve stem leak or rings.

The engine does not blow any smoke.

I really just wanted to get your ideas on the issues I'm having. If it is an issue with the rings or valve stem seals what are your recommendations? fix or get a used engine? I have no idea about the cost of these things in the USA.

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alloro
So I replaced the crank sensor this morning. The pressure regulator just arrived this afternoon so I'll get that installed this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
When I replaced the spark plugs I found that the sparkplugs looks like the engine was running a bit rich in seven of the cylinders but then in cylinder number 8 I found the park plug to be oily and had small carbon looking deposits all over it.
You should have verified that you had a spark going to #8 plug first. When you get the compression readings post them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.