DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 95 1500 (5.9 engine), and have been getting it sorted out. It had a failed catalytic converter and (resulting) fried EGR transducer. The cat, muffler, oxygen sensor, and egr have been replaced now, and it seems to run fine, with no more check-engine light.

However, i notice that i still have what sounds like it could be a vacuum leak, primarily when the truck is first started, until it starts to warm up. In general, what i hear is a hissing noise when the gas pedal is very lightly pressed, or when it's let off of.

Before i start looking for the cause of this (or decide to ignore it :D ), i figured i'd ask here if this sounded familiar to anyone.

Please don't tell me it's a plenum gasket, ok? ;)

Thanks,

--J

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is your Defrost, heater or vents on and the fan in on position? if so turn it all to off then try starting it mine did the same thing The heat/air system works off of vacuum so if it`s on it will do that. It could be the gasket they are known for going bad I replaced mine not to long ago. I used the kit from Huges Engines. It`s realy not to bad of a job to do as long as you take your time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha!

You nailed it- I think it does only happen when the heater select is in a position other than "off" (whether or not the fan is running).

Well, that means it's probably not significant at least.. and it gives me a part of the vacuum system to focus on.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
If it turns not to be that, I would check that your air hat is tightened down good to the throttle body, and that the rubber gasket is still good. If that gasket goes bad, or the air hat gets loose, you will here a sucking sound under light throttle (it is the sound of air flowing into your TB). Usually goes away after things warm up and heat expansion creates a better seal. The rubber gasket cost a few bucks from most parts stores. Easy fix.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Silver_DodgeRam said:
If it turns not to be that, I would check that your air hat is tightened down good to the throttle body, and that the rubber gasket is still good. If that gasket goes bad, or the air hat gets loose, you will here a sucking sound under light throttle (it is the sound of air flowing into your TB). Usually goes away after things warm up and heat expansion creates a better seal. The rubber gasket cost a few bucks from most parts stores. Easy fix.
Thats what happened on my '97 Ram.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have some of that going on too.. the leak seems to be fairly well associated with having the heater controls in positions other than off or defrost, but not 100%. I notice also that the cruise control isn't working well. I'll do some testing next week and try to identify the root cause(s) of these symptoms..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.