DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DR
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About once every 3-4 months my engine cuts completely off cold turkey, no particular reason as I can tell (e.g. no bumps, turns, water, temperature, hills, quick brake, sputtering), so far only times its done it has been at low speed or idle, and only way I can tell its off is loss of power steering. Throw in neutral and restart/runs fine. Ideas?

·
paul
951 Posts
it did heapened to me 2 or 3 times and was right after a fill up when i was using the 87 tune from Superchips, maybe bad gas, but it still stalls mos of the time at the pump, cant keep it running with the gas cap off

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
What are you driving?

·
DR
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'05 QC 5.7, all engine stuff as it came, no fiddling ... dont think gas cuz its been mid tank twice for sure, and once was after driving 100 miles I was between red lights and it zonked out

·
General Garage Guru
164 Posts
Any updates on this? Mine just started doing it yesterday. No MIL, NO Check Engine. Starts back up and is fine. Mine does it the first thing in the morning, after a short drive.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Any updates on this? Mine just started doing it yesterday. No MIL, NO Check Engine. Starts back up and is fine. Mine does it the first thing in the morning, after a short drive.
Turn that big ass radio off, no just kidding, try resetting the PCM maybe it learned some bad habits. Can't hurt and it's free.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have an 07 and it happened to me once about two weeks after i purchased the truck. I brought it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong and it's never done it again

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a QC 05' and its done the same thing while at a light or at low speed. It happened probly 3 times in a month period about 10k miles ago but hasnt done it since. I believe ive cleaned the throttle body since then so that could of helped but who knows. I do know this truck just like my last truck a 2000 dakota has a hesitant throttle at idle or take off when the throttle body gets dirty. Ive prolly cleaned mine 3 or 4 times in the 73000 miles that are on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the next time it does it it look at the bottom right of your dash ,is there a red lightning bolt there ,if so its probably going to throw the code p2175(low air restriction,the garage tried to tell me it was my k&n air intake filter and map sensor,it cost 107 bucks ,plus 40 some to put it on the machine,well that wasnt it so i took it to another garage and told them i thought it was the throttle body needing cleaned,which they did at no cost to me ,because it was the same dealership,but a differnt garage,with better mechanics,they even told me if that doesnt fix it they would give me a new throttle body,but so far its running great,john p.s.the the red lightning bolt means its in the electronic throttle body.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
even if your truck isnt going into limp mode (the flashing red light on the dash) its more than likely just a dirty throttle body. running rough, stalling, low idle, and "shaky" idle are all symptoms of a dirty TB. there is a good write up in the how-to section, just follow it and you'll be good to go :tup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe something plugged up you injectors and thats why your truck shut off. That could of been my prob too cause i have ran lucas fuel cleaner a few times in my truck but i dont remember if it was before i had mine shut off on me or not.

·
General Garage Guru
164 Posts
Update on my problem. I had recently had a trans service.(right before the problem started) In which a bad spin on filter was used causing the torque converter to drain out overnight.(found a TSB on it) Anyway the computer shut the engine down to protect the trans. Took the truck back into the shop with the TSB in hand. New trans filters were installed and all is well now. Dodge knew about this problem but still has the suspect filters in stock. I drove up to Oregon (where I am now) and a guy up here just had the same problem. I showed him the TSB and he got his fixed too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Do you have a link for that TSB?

·
General Garage Guru
164 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.