DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fans stopped working. I removed the engine cooling fan relay that is located under the air filter system. I removed the cover from the relay (attached picture)

I found out that one wire has burned and needs to be fixed. All the wires are in some kind of bright jelly. Can I partially remove this jelly and fix the burnt wire?

The relay costs here about 150 euros (200USD) so I would like to try fixing it by myself first.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I fixed the burnt wire, but the fans aren't working. I'm thinking of ordering a new relay. I will also check the condition of the fans by jump wires and check the other relays concerning cooling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm gonzalo from Mar del Plata - Argentina. I have the same trouble and it's same relay my van 1998 2.4
Here I think cost prety expensive than there, Jankinnu. My relay didn't work last dicember (very hot) backing from hollidays and since that turn on directly from inside van trough a connection by my self. I didn't think open it, "thanks". In this days i'll try to take any measurement with an instrumet to see the ECU voltage send to it. If I found same thing then post it here.

Thanks and sorry about my grammar.
Gonzalo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gas28man said:
jankinnu,

Your fan relay looks different from mine. What year is your van?

Rick
My van is registered in 6/1995. The body is model GS?

Hopefully I'll get my van working properly soon. By the way this model has a towing package and although the fans aren't working it's very hard to get the engine temperature rising above the normal value (the temperature cauge needle is pointing midpoint of the scale). So I think that the radiators have great cooling capacity.

By the way, can I replace my relay 4707286-C with relay 4707286AF or with relay 4707286. Are these all the same relay?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is there another relay in the box that is similar to the fan relay? Try one of those relays and see if works then you'll know it's the relay. Good luck. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a new engine cooling fan relay with serial 4707286AF. It should be an updated version. I will install it tomorrow and we'll see if the fans start working.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both of the fans are working now.

By the way I did about 510 mile trip and the average consumption was about 28,34mpg (8,3L/100km)! The common speeds were 75mph, 60mph and 50mph. I didn't use air conditioning. I had 3 other passengers with me. My T&C has never consumed this little gasoline. I recently replaced all the air and oil filters and oils, spark plugs ja spark plug wires. Usually the consumption is 23-26mpg on the highway and 12-15mpg in the city.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.