DodgeTalk Forum banner

To Tow or Not to Tow! 4.7L New Engine break in period, after ??? miles.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please share your knowledge or opinion above.

I have a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad cab 4.7L. I've just replaced my original 4.7L with a remanufactured 4.7L from PowerTrainProducts.net. I know that during the break in period, I should take it easy and drive at varying speeds, no cruise control and all of the normal stuff. My question is that after 500 miles or so, would it be alright, taking it very easy, to tow my 14 ft, v-nose, dual axel, cargo trailer with my Polaris RZR S, approximate RZR weight 1,300 pounds? My trailer weighs 2,120 pounds.

I've read varying opinions on other Dodge and truck forums with, as you can imagine, opinions that were for and against towing during break in. I purposely waited to ask for your DodgeTalk answers/opinions from my favorite and most respected Dodge/truck forum on the net. So guys, may I ask for your opinion? Should I tow during engine break in? Any tips from those who say it's OK?

Thanks in advance everyone.
David

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Drive it like you stole it. Theres an interesting article about engine break in

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I followed this with all my cars/toys, trailblazer will hit 200k soon and has never seen a shop for engine or transmission

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I remember when i bought my truck it came with some material that said my mileage would increase after the 500 mile break-in period. Well it got broke it but i never seen a mileage increase.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
^:thatfunny

Me either. These Hemis are ALWAYS thirsty:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good article, thanks. When I purchased my 2010 Polaris RZR S. I drove it off the show room floor full throttle and I haven't let up yet, lots of power and uses no oil.

·
Cali Grown
326 Posts
I think the 500 mile break in period should be respected although I think they recommend a bit more than that am I right? I believe they say 800 although I could be wrong. If you are past the 500 mile mark I don't think there will be any problems because of your towing.

Accidentally voted 300, but you know how I feel. :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
I made my first pull on the dyno with 80 (eighty) miles on a top to bottom fully rebuilt LS2 that I finished and fired up the prior night. Dump the oil and change the filter the first time at an early interval otherwise just let the new motor eat. I have a close friend that works at a well known engine builder and they always toss freshly built pieces on the engine dyno and flog the snot out of'em. He says they bring the motor to temp run the wrench over the rockers again and blast it on the dyno,crate it and send it off.

·
Biggin
910 Posts
When I put the motor in the Cobra I pulled out of the garage and did a full launch and pass to 130.

Ran fine.

Rings either seat or they don't. You'll know instantly.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Ive talked to many engine builders over the years and this is what most claim. " Either its right or its not". With modern machining methods and materials there isnt a need for an elaborate break in period like the olden days. Basicly drive like you normally would.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.