DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you with 5 speeds, when engine braking down a hill do you get any bad popping/backfire? Oh i almost forgot, when coming to a stop, the rpm will surge(400rpm to 800 rpm) with the clutch disengaged, once stopped rolling it idles perfect(700rpm), with just a hint of roughness chulked up to normal on these. The only thing I have left to figure out on my truck is that. I also seem to have a lack of power under a load and lowish gas milage(or so I feel). The previous owner had neglected to do routine maint stuff, plus it had a bad crank position sensor throwing misfire codes so it ran like crap when i first bought it, i also decided to go ahead and do the hughs intake plate. Seemed to fix some power issues, and oil burning issues but not so much gas milage. I threw a timing light on it and the timing was jumping around(confirmed on a scan tool also), 110,000 miles on an ex plow truck. It will be getting a double roller timing chain(plus 4 degress lol) as soon as the bike can go back on the road.

I know it will be asked so, it is properly tuned up with no check engine lights, all sensor values are in check, have 18 to 19 inches of vacuum at idle warmed up and all the info is in my sig. I'm hoping the timing chain may be the last piece of my riddle but, lets see what ya'll think.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A leaking exhaust can cause backfires on decelleration. Check your exhaust system for holes in the pipes or mufflers and also around any clamps.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
when you replaced the cps it was for a manual ? in kow they have diff part #'s . ex-plow truck with a 5.2 1500 . have you done a compression check ?

EDIT....have you changed your o2 sensors . 110k there past due and will help performance . NTK is best IMO .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
exhaust is perfect, i welded and clamped when i put in the new muffler. 02 sensors look fine on a scan tool, it has been on my mind but because of that i'm hesitant to spend the money. and the cps was bought right from a dealer, using my vin. i tried one from were i work but it would not properly bolt down(the auto one bolted down but hit the flywheel), returned it and bought one from the dealer for less anyways. The only thing i haven't done is a compression test.... thats been on my mind also but just dont want to see the results, lol. based on my vacuum readings tho, i dont think its a compression issue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.