DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one! new proud owner of a 1985 d150 5.9. I'm looking for advice on removing all the smog/emissions stuff on my truck. Will be buying headers, intake manifold, carb, and distributor. what do you guys recommend?
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Red Trucker
3,365 Posts
So if you have a 2 bbl carb you're saddled with 155 hp (4 bbl 170 hp) and either version only about 8.5:1 compression; good for regular gas but not any kind of real power. Are you wanting to keep this CR and ability to use regular gas while just making improvements?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you have a 2 bbl carb you're saddled with 155 hp (4 bbl 170 hp) and either version only about 8.5:1 compression; good for regular gas but not any kind of real power. Are you wanting to keep this CR and ability to use regular gas while just making improvements?
its got the 4 bbl, yea just what ever i can do to improve power on regular gas

·
Red Trucker
3,365 Posts
So:
Cam - you want something that will make torque (you have a truck after all); you need to decide if you want to go with stock style flat tappet or a retrofit roller cam. I've had both and whenever possible I'm all about a roller cam. Besides the performance benefit, you also don't have to spend the time on old school cam break-in because it isn't a flat tappet on a cam lobe that has to be worn on properly or everything is junk; it's just a wheel that keeps right on trucking as long as it gets oil. On this I'd talk to Hughes or Mancini.
Headers - whatever will fit your truck, your options here may be limited. Just go duals back with a quality muffler OTHER than Rustmaster and you'll be fine
Intake manifold - you won't need anything more than say an Edelbrock Performer to go with your stock heads and even a mild cam with your CR. Most manifolds like that are spred bore pattern, unless you step up to a Performer RPM (power range 1500-6500 rpm vs the Performer's off idle to 5500 rpm). This may limit your carb selection (your stock 4 bbl should be a spread bore, probably a Quadrajet?)
Ignition - find the old tried and true Mopar Performance ignition upgrade kit, comes with perf tuned distributor, the orange box, a ballast resistor and some wiring. I've put this kit in at least two classic Mopars (one of my Dusters and a Road Runner). As I'm typing this I'm realizing that it looks like Mopar stopped making that kit (small block kit is p/n P3690426); they're out there but probably not worth tracking down anymore. Luckily Mancini picked it up: Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit, Hi-Po ECU.
Another ignition option (if it'll fit) is upgrading to an HEI: Dodge Small Block DUI Distributor – Performance Distributors. They also have one for clearance issues: Dodge V8 Tri-Power Distributors – Performance Distributors
Carb - so, all kinds of carbs on the market. Need to match size to what your needs are as well as what manifold pattern you have (spread vs square bore). Even with a few modifications, 600 cfm would be plenty for what you have. I like the Carter based Edlebrock carbs myself, but they are all square bore carbs; this is funyn consideringthe sheer number of spread bore manifolds they sell lol. If this were MY project, I'd go with a Holley Sniper: Sniper EFI - Holley I've actually been thinking about putting these in my 32' boat with twin 350's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts