DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1977 Dodge B200 318 Sportsman Van, and need diagrams for emission wiring and tubing schematics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
jblack95673 here, OK whats going on???? my 1977 van failed smog and one of the problems is the wring to the controls, also my CHILTONS manual no#6934 says very little about my system. So I'm hoping I can get some help from someone about this.
How about it!!! Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jblack95673 here, OK whats going on???? my 1977 van failed smog and one of the problems is the wring to the controls, also my CHILTONS manual no#6934 says very little about my system. So I'm hoping I can get some help from someone about this.
How about it!!! Thanks

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I can scan and post the wiring schematics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DVM / that would be great, if you have the right schematics, one-the wiring schematics, the other would be for all the runs of the vacuum hoses. You know, like used to be under the hood. This van was first sold in Texas,so it would not have the CA type system. It also is a work van and did have AC in it.
It's not incorrect wiring to a control, The wiring comes out of the lome, go's to the switches and then go's out under the hood and is cut and stopes there,there is 2 wires, one brown and one white.
Thank you for your help

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I have a '77 factory service manual I will copy the schematics out of. I'm not sure however if it has vacuum hose diagrams.

There shouldn't be a whole lot of emission controls on a '77 so that should make it easy to determine your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys
jblack here
Sorry Sorry, it is a 1977 Tradesman, not sportsmen. I do not know if this will make a ,hope it doze not. also both my marker/ lamps in front of same van do not work right. Lets see, the turn singles work on ether side, but when i turn on head lights the front marker lights do not come, but the turn single markers inside on dash do come on ??? whats you thank?? Thanks j

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Crap...I forgot to scan those schematics. Last post on this link has some vacuum diagrams. I think you may be able to use these.

http://moparbvans.proboards106.com/index.cgi?board=engine&action=display&thread=1198037081

Naw...no difference mechanically between a Sportsman and a Tradesman.

The side markers not working could be bulbs. Also the turn signal housings should be grounded via a pigtail coming off of the housings to the body. This may be the cause of the dash indicators lighting up when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jblack here, THANK YOU for the pic's for the vac hoses. But I don't see any wiring schematics for those switches. Wires go to the vacuum solenoid and then to a switch that is in intake manifold, apparently when motor warms up something grounds to switch and then power go's on. And then the brown and white wire go's to something under hood, that something is what I'm looking for to.
I've checked the marker blubs, they are the same blubs as the turn signal blubs, when I check if power is coming into socket from ground to power point in socket, there is power to each point. Turn signal or marker both have power to them. But when I put blub in socket only the turn signal side of the blub works, when I turn the head lights on the marker side of blub does not work but turn signal does work but also turn signal marker lights in dash come on and stay on until I turn lights off. I know I've said this before, any way it's raining here now and won't be able to check out stuff you gave me for a few days. But I'll let you know. THANK'S FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check out post #1398 on this board. That guy has a '76 and had some of the same problems with his vacuum hoses and throttle postioner system. Your '77 should be similar emission control wise. One wire of the vac solenoid is ground and the other connects to the electronic speed switch. That switch is wired to the ballast resistor, and the resistor to the electronic ign control unit. These parts should be mounted on the firewall. Once again, check out post #1398 for more details.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I've checked the marker blubs, they are the same blubs as the turn signal blubs, when I check if power is coming into socket from ground to power point in socket, there is power to each point. Turn signal or marker both have power to them. But when I put blub in socket only the turn signal side of the blub works, when I turn the head lights on the marker side of blub does not work but turn signal does work but also turn signal marker lights in dash come on and stay on until I turn lights off. I know I've said this before, any way it's raining here now and won't be able to check out stuff you gave me for a few days. But I'll let you know. THANK'S FOR YOUR PATIENCE.
Ah..okay. I thought you were refering to the side marker lights mounted on the front fenders. I see you talking about the turn signals mounted in the grille.

Here's a silly question. Are you absolutely positive you installed the bulbs correctly? They have dual contacts and if the bulb isn't seated correctly or installed wrong the proper filament won't illuminate when power goes to it.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Just because the van was originally sold in Texas doesn't mean it doesn't have California emissions. That being said, your brown and white wires are supposed to go to an EGR timer. See the image at the end of this post for the wiring diagram.

Regarding your lighting issue, the ground is missing at each of the front light assemblies. The turn/parking bulbs share a common ground. Since there is no ground when you turn on the parking lights, the power is going to the bulb, through the parking filament, to the internal common ground splice, and then it's backfeeding through the turn signal filament, up through the wiring harness, and ending at the dash turn indicator bulbs causing them to illuminate.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Here's a few more diagrams.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jblack here, Thank you for the diagrams, i see i,m missing the little plug for the VR, or may be the other way around, good at lest i know where to look.Iv also try'd to find post 1398, but can not. How do i find it???
Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Guys
jblack here
Will it passed, After all the talking we did I took to the smoger , left it and he adjusted till it passed. He did nothing with the brown and white wires going to the timer.So it dose't matter rather they are hocked up or not to get it smogged. All it takes is money. Although it runs like it has tons of weight on it. I know it has a bad valve so maybe if I adjust the carb back some it will run better. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
jblack95673 said:
Hi Guys
maybe if I adjust the carb back some it will run better.
You might want to make notes for anything you readjust, such as how far you turned a screw left or right. This way when you have to go through inspection again you can reset everything back to where it is now and pass without having to go to a shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.