DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I knew about this device 6 years ago. I just noticed it existed yesterday on ebay. I wonder how it works ?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
what device??

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
electronic rust protector "device"

They sell them on ebay and they say it stop the rust from starting and stuff.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
umm...... link???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I dont know. I am a mechanical engineer with alot of experience with electrical systems and somehow these products seem like snake oil. If this technology is so darned good, why is it being promoted primarily on ebay? If it is so effective, why has it not gotten major attention from the press? If it is soo good why are not our friends and neighbors raving about how well this works. Maybe it does work, but I am a bit suspicious until I see some credible reference.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I just did some more reading on the www.ruststoponline.com site and I will agree that sacrificial anode technology does work. This is the same concept used in most residential hot water heater tanks to keep the tank from rusting. However this technology requires a constant bath of water around the anode to direct electrical corrosion away from the surfaces needing protection. The website states the following

RustStop® RS-4 electronic rust protection uses an adapted version of cathodic protection enabling rust protection in atmospheric conditions. This technologymakes use of a clever combination of both sacrificial anode and impressed current technologies. Instead of relying on the electrolyte (water) to surround the anodes and vehicle, a current is impressed onto the vehicle forcing the electrons to flow though the metal and towards strategically placed positively charge anodes. The anodes corrode (sacrifice) and the corrosion process is interfered with
I also have great concerns over the effects of charging the metal body/frame of a vehicle. Durangos in particular are sensitive to grounding and voltage issues. This sounds like a potential problem. Also, if the grounding is adversely effected by this device, you could have accelerated engine corrosion and various mysterious electrical problems crop up.

Again, I am using my common sense and thinking that if this technology were really "all that and a bag of chips" we would have been hearing from many other credible sources reporting how effective these devices are. I dont doubt that they do work - at some low level, I just question the claims of the rate of rusting being decreased by a factor of 4 times.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can a mechanical engineer explain how rust starts in the first place. I live with a winter and the city puts out salt on the road that exelarates the rust process. Every year before winter I rust proof the underneath of my truck.They spray oil which protects against the rust.How can we ultimately defend myself from this chemical reaction with oxygen and thats how far I made it too grade 12 in physics.hehe

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
sorry for the multiple posts, but after additiional thought, I am doubly concerned over lack of effectiveness of this technology. Forget for a moment that it relies on a current constantly running thru the metal parts of the vehicle, the current would not efficiently be able to run thru the entire vehicle since autos are complex machines with many many metal parts (that can rust or oxidize) and trying to get a current to transmit thru every metal surface seems improbable meaning many nooks and crannies would not be protected by this current based protection. Also, the fact that you are making the entire metal chassis and body a live circuit leaves me greatly concerned for the health of the numerous sensors, grounds, and microchips that can be adversely effected by stray electrical interference that this device appears to generate.

Until I see a few credible references and maybe some controlled tests by legit agencies, this product remains squarely in the catagory of potential snake oil.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
lava said:
Can a mechanical engineer explain how rust starts in the first place. I live with a winter and the city puts out salt on the road that exelarates the rust process. Every year before winter I rust proof the underneath of my truck.They spray oil which protects against the rust.How can we ultimately defend myself from this chemical reaction with oxygen and thats how far I made it too grade 12 in physics.hehe
actually the ruststoponline site does a nice job of describing how rust forms:
http://www.ruststoponline.com/how-does-rust-form.html

However, while they do a good job of describing how rust forms and how thier product works, I remain unconvinced that this technology will result in the dramatic decreas in the rate of rust formation that they claim to acheive.

I bet my money on annual applications of rust inhibitors as the best way to combat rust. That and common sense, ie. rinsing the salt spray off asap whenever possible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember and 90% of my class failing that test with + and - atoms. This teacher in physics was also our auto mechanics and carpentry teacher and he only had seven fingers left.He always started his speach about safety and machinery on the first day of school.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Doesn't every shop teacher have 2-3 fingers missing :thatfunny

Dont feel bad about struggling to understand some of these electron exchange issues. My first test in introductory Physics (Electronics of Physics) at MSU was a bomb. The average test score was 18%. This was in a class of ~250 students! Thank God that the instructor graded on a curve.

I remember one of the problems was a full page with arrows representing a magnetic field flux diagram and the question was which way would the charged particle move if it were falling downward thru the magnetic flux field. Most in the class were scratching their heads for hours following that test.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think I could answer your magnetic flux question. ever heard of the left hand rule??

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
daklover said:
I think I could answer your magnetic flux question. ever heard of the left hand rule??
Where were you 23 years ago when I needed the answer?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
lol, not even a twinkle in my parents eye

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just my oppinion & a thought...Range Rover has been putting these devices on there Discovery series for Tha past 6 years..my Friend has one & "claims" it works awsome....again..Canadian winters...salt on the road..no undercoating & yet...NO RUST!!!..hmmm I think I would buy one in the attemp to save $$ on body work...like they say..rust is like Cancer..once you have it its phkin hard to get rid of

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
but how can you know that it works, ok theres no rust but how do you know that its because of the deivce? not to bash this or anything i just find it hard to prove

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
yeah, its kinda like disproving a conspiracy.

The best way to prove if it works is a lab controlled side by side salt spray test of a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.