DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or not, and any suggestions?
Have an '01, 4.7 with some odd electrical gremlins. Not sure if it's coincidence that I've had the truck for a year without a problem, and 2 days/25 miles after I had it at the dealer for vehicle and emissions inspection bam, I'm having issues. But -

1. - All started with the wipers, had light rain with the delay wipers on. Out of the blue, wipers would swipe 4 consecutive times then stop till the next delay, and 4 consecutive swipes, and so-on. Got to work, turned off the lights kept the truck running with the wipers on, & the headlights would flash every time with the 4 swipes of the delay wipers. Got off work later, everything is fine, hasn't happened since.

2. - Went for lunch, came back out, the remote won't unlock the doors. Thought it was the remote battery, but later determine it wasn't. (See below! #4) Manually unlocked and got inside, pressed the remote a few more times, and started working again.

3. - Same day, got to work after lunch, sat in truck listening to the stereo with the key on auxillary. Door chime would chime just once, at random intervals. Got off work later, everything fine, hasn't happened since.

4. - This takes the cake! Wednesday morning the remote again would not work. I manually unlock the door thinking bad remote battery again. Not so. I have no interior lights or dash lights. Power door locks will not work either. Then I see I have no headlights/fog lights or parking lights either. Everything else works fine. Hazards, turnsignals, brakes, backup lamps all work fine. Battery gauge shows solid charge on the instrument panel. Come home later that day, still the same problem. I check the fuses under the hood, and in the cabin. All look fine. I swap relays with the parking lamps and horn (the horn worked fine), the lamps still did not work. Truck sits Thansgiving, and I go back to it first thing this morning - everything is working fine again!!!!

So, I'm wondering either A: something was bumped during emissions inspection at the dealership, or B: this past week and a half we've had rain off and on. Warmer temps during the day, near freezing at night. The last 2 days have been sunny, breezy & dry. Possibly moisture getting to something??? Does this sound likely? And if so, I'm wondering if the exterior lights, fogs, parking lamps, interior lights, cluster lights, and power door locks are all connected together at one point somewhere in the vehicle?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ive had part of #4 happen to me. Was somewhat rainy all night, got up in the morning to go to work (still dark out) go to turn my headlights on, nothing. Fogs worked but the headlights wouldnt. For some reason I decided to try my high beams and they worked then I went back to low beam and they suddenly worked too. Odd. But for all your other wiring problems, probably just shorts or something, I wouldnt worry about it until they mess up and stay like that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with similar problems!

I did go over as many connections as I could. Nothing stood out. So far nothing else has happened in the last week. Very odd. Then again, maybe pulling fuses and relays and tugging at connections knocked something back in place for all I know.

I did pull the tails and repositioned the wiring harnesses, and the fog wires I tie-wrapped up to the frame to pull them away from the open slots in the front bumper. As well as wrapped the connections in new electrical tape. Other than that, thats all I've done.

·
Registered
827 Posts
bcm..........probably water intrusion........years and years of it........i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wring, but aren't all of his problem areas controlled by bcm???..........if problems go away in dry weather/warm weather.........strongly suspect the bcm.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the bcm located? (I'm not seeing this in my cheap Haynes general repair manual!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
if I am correct bcm = pcm ?? if thats right it is on the pass side all the way against the fender wall and has 3 connections going into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.