DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have had my 1999 Grand Caravan since 2008.

It has the 3.8 liter engine.

In hot weather it keeps repeating the same problem, the electrical fans are not coming on. Modules (2) have been replaced 3 times. They are pretty expensive. I am thinking the problem is not with the modules but with a ground or in the wiring.
Any opinions? Any experiences ?

A friend who had first and second generation Caravans said the charging regulator may be bad and killing the modules.

Does anyone have a diagram of the fan and temperature sensing circuits. If so I would appreciate the info.

Here is a jpeg of one of the modules replaced before. Does anyone know how to test them?

cooling-control-module_web.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Or am I mistaken? Now I am wondering if it is not a turn signal flasher !

It has been a while since I replaced any of them. I forget what they look like !

Nah, I looked it up on Auto zone, the flasher is a round plastic can.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had this problem with my 1999 Grand Caravan last year.

The three main causes of this are cooling fan relay, PCM fault or temperature sensor failure. There is an AC transducer that will turn the fans on when the AC is on also.

I did replace the cooling fan relay. It's behind the driver side headlight.
That could definitely be the problem. The fans won't operate if that relay is not grounded securely and sometimes rust develops and interferes with the ground.

In my case, that did not resolve the issue. On mine it turned out to be a faulty coolant temperature sensor.

You can bypass the relay to test the fans themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts