DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, but I am needing info quickly. Will the electric fan from a Viper fit on a 2003 Hemi Ram PU? I am looking for a direct swap, without a lot of modifications needed, and will pull the needed CFM for this truck.
If anyone has done this or knows how they fit, please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :help:

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Yes, it will fit. Get the 2002 Viper fan....part number: 4854720AA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input RedRaider! I am searching for one in the salvage yards first. The new ones are expensive (around $450).

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
WTF! I got mine for $162.

·
Dodge User
1,213 Posts
TTURedRaider09 do you have any pics of your install?

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Black05Hemi said:
I went to the dealer today, they want $217.
That isn't bad. I found them from around $180 to $225. I had a coupon thingy with mine.....I think the original was $190ish.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
jstutzm said:
Here are a couple of pics of my Viper fan installed. Its not a tough install; you'll need to relocate or replace your radiator overflow and windshield washer fluid resevior. Also will need to use a foam or rubber strip to seal between radaitor and Viper fan shroud. And yes...this baby moves some air. If it can keep a Viper cool it can handle the Hemi!

http://www.dodgetalk.com/gallery/data/521/35187PICT0020-med.JPG

http://www.dodgetalk.com/gallery/data/521/35187PICT0018-med.JPG
How did you install yours? I have opened the box and looked at the wiring....but yours looks simplier.....how did you do it? More pics would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
More info!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I custom made a controller and used some Bosch 50 amp relays to connect it. There are three wires on the fan - one is ground, one is low speed and the other is high speed. You don't want 12V on bothe the high speed and low speed wires at the same time. What I did was have the low speed active when the A/C is on and it switches over to high speed if the coolant gets up to temp. I'll get some more pics this afternoon after I get off of work. I'll also try to find a way to get my controller schematic onto my computer. Or instead of building a circuit, you could use a temperature actuated switch. More to come...

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Thanks for the info jstutzm, this is one mod thats been on my list for a while, but I have some questions regarding the Temp sensors, etc... Does all that come with the fan? How do you wire into the thermostat? Does it stay running all the time? Etc...

I wanna do it, but I am determined to do it right!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would like to do this mod to my Durango. I wonder how different the D is from the Ram.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only thing you get with the Viper fan is the fan itself. As far as the thermostat, I used the temp sensor from a Hayden fan controller that I got at O'reilly's (cost about $30 I think). I tried to use that controller, but it couldn't handle the power that the fan wanted (it subsequently melted). The sensor just pushed through the blades in the radiator. The link that B][GT posted above is similar to the setup I did. I think that the trimming of the fan shroud is for the Dakota though. I didn't have to trim mine at all. I'm working on a way to use the thermostat that is already in the truck, but I am as yet unsuccessful. Oh...and no, the fan doesn't run all the time. I just had to adjust the setting on my circuit.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
How about using two controllers for the two speeds? One set for normal cut in at just above center on temp diall and the other set 25/35 degrees hotter to allow for extreme use. Heavy duty relays could switch from controllers to fan if the controllers cant cope with load.
Only thing is did someone say both fan stages can not run at the same time?

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
I see JSTUTZM says the fan has to have power to one winding or other not both, is there not a controller out there can switch two stage fans?

·
Registered
74 Posts
rtes said:
How about using two controllers for the two speeds?
You could do that. The controller I built could also accommodate that. Or you could have the relays set up to act as a logic OR gate.

rtes said:
One set for normal cut in at just above center on temp diall and the other set 25/35 degrees hotter to allow for extreme use. Heavy duty relays could switch from controllers to fan if the controllers cant cope with load.
You could do that as well but I don't think its necessary. This fan can handle anything you can dish out. I used the low speed to kick on with the A/C and the temperature sensor will overide the low speed when the engine gets up to temp. (After all, it was made for a Viper!) Any way you do it, you have to use 50amp relays to drive the fan.

rtes said:
Only thing is did someone say both fan stages can not run at the same time?
Yep. That would be me.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
I was just trying to come up with something simple that the parts could be picked up at any decent performance shop, not something that would require the building of you own controller. A lot of people out here want to do this mode and if they are anything like me connecting wires is one thing but designing and constructing electronic components is likely to keep this useful mod on the wish list for most of us. LOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go to Summit Racing and do a search for this part # FLX-33021. I suppose you could use two of these and three 50 amp relays. It would be easier than building your own controller. You would want to use a single probe for both sensors, however. That would be simple enough. Then just adjust your low speed with one controller and the high speed with the other. You could also use two Hayden #3647 controllers (I melted one of these, so keep in mind that even though there is a relay mounted on them, the circuitry can't handle the current. you will still have to use the 50amp relays). Hopefully this helps.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.