DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im looking to do an electric fan and see a few different controllers so i was just wondering the difference and i have a few fans sitting around and wanted to use them but wanted to kno how i would know they are good to use on my truck(sufficent air flow)

whats the difference between the SPAL controller, Dakota Digitals PAC-2000, a few others and making a home brew style controller or adjustable thermostats. Im lost so any help and advice to keep cost down and have a good final product would be kickass...thanks!

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, im not sure what that is so can you elaborate alittle more and give a part # and what all exactly did you buy to make it a total kit, or is that all you bought besides the Viper Fan

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Thats all I bought. I have a fan, relay, and adjustable temp controller. Just ask the guys at Autozone, and they should be able to tell you where it is. I dont have a part# anymore because I did this so long ago.

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok, heres the link to the $123 Viper fan that the guys say is a great buy! The link is something like makeitmopar.com or whatever!

Viper Fan for $123 Thread with the Link Posted

HEMI450HP, i went to autozone and the first guy was clueless so i talked to another guy, he walked to the back and got this. It has the Push-In Probe and i cant say that i like that so let me kno if this is it....i have pics of the back of the box so you can look to see if this is what you have or if i should try to get another! The last 3 digits are 204 for the part#!

ALSO, (1)i see this has a relay, do i use that or do i buy another relay and how big should it be? (2) Do i have to get a different pulley or can i just take the fan off the stock pulley? Thanks

Attachments

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, and here is the fan i came across in the garage(the best i could find)! i wanna say one moves more air than the other but its hard to tell! its 25.5" wide and my radiator is 25" roughly b4 the endcaps so if i decide to go with these fans i may have to angle them

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have not a clue how to do the electric fan... I would like to though!! Post pics when you GET ER DONE

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HEMI450Hp,
still waiting to hear from you if the pic is what you had or similar to it and the rest of my questions?? thanks for the help so far...

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
I used that same controller on my second design of my electrical circuit. During Sand Drags the controller milted, the relay fused to the controller and the controller as a whole warped from the excessive AMP’s that the Viper Fan draws. (By the way, I replaced the 40Amp Relay with a HD 50AMP before use).. I had to remove the controller and wire direct to battery to get home.

if your going with the Viper FAN, then you’ll want something with BALLS, Big ones. The Viper Fan loves AMP’s.

My final electrical design uses 2 of those Thermal controllers (one for LOW and one for HI Temp Speed), and two 160AMP HD Solenoids to actually power the fan. Instead of the controller powering the fan, they connect to the coils of the solenoids, kicking the solenoid on, that in turn actually sends 60AMP fused power to the fan.

After having my fan fail on me once, I redesigned my custom circuit to be triple auto redundant, dual speed, W/ Starter kill. 3 major parts of the system can fail and the Viper Fan will still receive power, automatically. Then I can also manually engage the fan with a small length of wire, bypassing everything except the batt and fan.

If you go with something else, like that dual fan that controller should work fine.

There is a variable controller out, that would be the best way. I may convert to that someday later.

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, i plan on running what i showed in the pic i was just waiting to hear back from HEMI450HP to see if that was the same controller and see what people thought about the probe rather than something that screws into the block.

Would the dual fan be better as a pusher and puller or both doin the same?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
I'm so sorry man...I completely forgot about this thread. The pic you posted is not the same as what I bought...but looks like it would work fine. I also have a probe that I put in my radiator and I havent had any problems with it.

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea? mine was like $40....so i can just buy a 75amp relay and install on this controller and i should be ok or what?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I have not read what size engine you have on your truck. The engine size drives the size of the fan(s) you have to use for cooling. The size of the engine minus the CFM of the fan(s) equals a cool running engine. And there should not be more than 30 amp start-up draw on a large single fan and no more than 40-45 amp draw on a dual fan set-up. After the fan(s) starts there should be a drop to only 3 to 5 amps for a single and 8 to 10 amps for duals while running at 100% RPM. If you’re pulling more than that, you may have a bad fan or you may have a bad fan controller. If you’re pulling more than 30 amps, what size wire are you planning on using? The amps your starter is pulling is less than 40 and look at the size of wires going to it.

I have the 2002 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with a 4.7L. I'm running a Flex-O-Lite dual speed controller and I’m using a late model Lincoln V8 electric fan. From the factory this fan has two speeds. A high speed hot wire, low speed hot wire, and the ground wire. The Flex-O-Lite controller runs off a 30 amp buss fuse that is hooked directly to the battery. The ground for the controller is hooked directly to the negative side of the battery. The “power on” coil inside the controller operates off of an ignition source, so the fan(s) only run if the key is on. The controller is then hooked to the primary (high speed) side of the fan. When the temperature probe switch closes, the controller starts at 60% and if the temperature continues to rises another 10 degrees then the controller goes to 100%. I have the temperature on the controller set to come on at 210 degrees and it turns off at 195 degrees and I am using the standard 210 thermostat. I have it set at 210 degrees so the fan does not run as I am driving down the road at a speed higher than the fan can pull. That would cause the fan to cavitate and would push air away from the radiator. The low speed is wired to a dummy terminal next to the battery side of buss fuse. If anything fails on the system from the buss fuse, temp probe, to the controller itself, I can hook-up the low speed side of the fan directly to the feed from the battery until I can fix the problem. And with the size of the Lincoln fan, I can hook the fan directly to the radiator and the top of the fan shroud. That helps because I did not have to modify anything. The Lincoln fan shroud is inches smaller than the radiator and it fits perfectly inside the stock cooling shroud. That helps the electric fan. Almost like a ducted fan.

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what would be something to use to hold the dual fan i showed in the pic to the radiator?? Its about the right size(alittle too big(1/2 inch) not including the 4 bars that stick out from the fan.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Most auto parts stores have some brand of electric fan mounting kits. You’ll just need to decide how you wish to mount the fan(s). Do you wish to mount the fan(s) as a pusher or puller? Some fan(s) have brackets, some have mounting holes, and some are made to mount directly to the face of the radiator. Then you’ll need to decide about the controller and how you’re going to wire the thing to your truck. Good luck and yes, it will be wroth it!

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what is the best bet as a PUSHER OR PULLER? I havent the slightest clue what would work the best....and im thinking to wire each fan to the high and low so it will kick both on if needed for more air movement but as for mounting...i dont know, lol

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
You are just gonna have to play with the mounting. And have some cutting tools ready because you will need them. I had to trim about 1" off the side of my viper fan so that it would fit inside the fan shroud.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
If the fans are you’re only source of cooling, then you need to use them as a puller. The best place I can think of for info is the Flex-O-Lite web site. I’ve include that site as well as a few more. Each site has tons of information for both pros-and-cons of the conversion. I don't want to muddy the waters but you need the information. If you don't get it right, it could leave you on the side on the road with a hurt motor.

www.flex-a-lite.com
www.perma-cool.com
www.the-fan-man.com
www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efanmyth.htm

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.