DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric fan question

3K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  spun360 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I bought a universal electric fan from autozone to try and get more horsepower out of my ram. It's 16" and pulls 2100 CFM, it's working great right now but I live in Florida and I'm worried about the summer time. What's your guys opinion on the fan? I have an adjustable thermostat too. Right now the fan kicks on at about 180 degrease, it maintains 180 at an idle easy.

#2 ·
Hello, I bought a universal electric fan from autozine to try and get more horsepower out of my ram. It's 16" and pulls 2100 CFM, it's working great right now but I live in Florida an I'm worried about the summer time. What's your guys opinion on the fan. I have an adjustable thermostat. Right now the fan kicks on at about 18degreased, and it Easley will maintain that.
Welcome to DT!

:dtrocks:

With the 16-inch fan you should be OK. Personally, I wouldn't do any heavy hauling or towing until you’ve worked up to it. But once the no-name brand e-fan has proved it’s self, you should be able to trust it more and more.

:)

#5 ·
The Taurus, T-Bird, and Lincoln e-fans all use the same motor. The only difference is the blade size - 16, 16.5, 17, 17.5, and 18-inch fans plus the fans and housing are different shapes. It has nothing to do with the size of the fan but how much air the motor moves though the fins. You could have a monster 20-inch fan on the truck but if it doesn't move enough air to keep the engine cool, it's worthless. The 16-inch e-fan should be fine so long as it moves enough air to keep everything cool. My e-fan is the Lincoln 16.5-inch and it can pull the hair off the cat from across the street.

#6 ·
I just let the truck idle for 30 minutes with the AC not on full blast but just on the 3rd notch. The truck maintained 204 degrees :( as soon I as drive away I went back down to 181 degrees. At what temp is just too much? Now I'm really worried about the summertime. Them flexalite duel fans are really expensive tho. Out of my price range for now for sure

#7 ·
You have the stock t-stat correct? 204 would right inline with the stock t-stat. But it would also depend on the trick point you have your controller set at for the fan to come on. If you have it set too high, the temp will climb up there before the -e-fan comes on.

As for a replacement e-fan, the best bang for the buck is the Ford e-fans that are on the Taurus, T-Bird, and Lincoln's. Like I said, I run my e-fan of high and it cools the water down in seconds.

#9 ·
... that's only a ten degree bump. I'd set the controller to come on just as the t-stat opens. That will keep the cooling system from having any time at all to build heat into the system. Then see what you think about the fan.

#10 ·
Alright I'll set it at around 180 then. The damn thin just stays on so long after I turn the truck off. I'll have to wire it to the ignition some how then.

#11 ·
I got lucky and found an ignition wire coming off the fusebox. I tapped it and use the wire to power a large 75-amp relay. Power from the battery is shut-off when I remove the key. Everything else is the same as the normal e-fan setup.

#13 ·
Once you get the fan set where you think you like it, you'll need to run the piss out of it; drive it like you stole-it. If the fan can keep it cool with the hard driving, you should be OK.

#15 ·
dont worry about the fans "on" when the ac compressor comes on. you only added an e fan. havent excluded the belt fan yet right. the oe belt keeps the ac just fine. your system is just like what i had till i got tired of it and built up. DIY
i took out the belt fan.
took out the little radiator.
i run a 180 water neck stat. the dual fans trip at 190 temp & AC on.
built everything onto a 80% larger diesel rad.
i will never have runnin temp spikes in PA over 200* again!

Attachments

#18 ·
my dipped trip. its derale. the hose adapter came off ebay. $8

#19 ·
I put a fan from a late 90s caravan ( twin fans in one housing ) on a ford with a 390 (1970 with a.c. and manual trans ) in it that would always get hot when pulling a trailer. Since the conversion and removing the flex fan it on longer gets hot.I tried 7 blade stockers and 7 blade flex (one fiber glass that failed after to many years and one with S,S, blades and each one was better than stock but not up to the job).

#20 ·
not sure i understand the issue here!

#22 ·
The ford is so old (1970) that it wouldn't do any good because all of the mounting points are mods.From what I have seen the shroud mounting points will work as a starting point and then build out from there to match up with the mounts on your fan assy.I used two separate relays and fuses(one for each fan) in case of a problem with one fan I will still have the other(yes I did have one go bad before and lost all cooling in 96 degree stop and go traffic and it boiled before I could get it out of the lane).I also wired in a bypass switch to manually control the fans( if I know that a long hard pull is coming up I can turn on the fans early or if I am in traffic with the air conditioner on I can keep the fans on for the condenser cooling).

#23 ·
mines custom built, DIY. most companies dont recommend the ele fan for over 5L engines. tough and expensive to get enough air volume through; reliably. hope your system pulls at MINIMUM 5000cfm

#24 ·
It's not a problem if you can afford a the twin-fans.

#25 ·
devilsdodgemt is trying to use intrepid fans! are you helping?

#26 ·
Nope but I would ... :)

#27 ·
the size cfm of the fan is based on the hp of the engine. i believe a ram may have more than an intrepid. slightly. it isnt just that easy to pull and scrap parts, then throw a few ele fans in there. the equation is huge. i find it hard to believe the INT fans put out enough. just trying to help

#28 ·
Correct but the Intrepid is pulling the cooling air though the A/C heat exchanger and the raditor; the Ram has a second e-fan just for the A/C. So the Intrepid e-fan is only cooling the engine. Granted, I believe Ford and Black Magic e-fans are a better choice for the Ram trucks, he shoild be OK so long as he does plan on towing heavy loads. One way or the other, I think it would be wise to put a Jet 180-degree t-stat in the truck as well.

:imo

#29 ·
When you use parts that are not made for your model and year it is always a experiment.Don't be surprised if you will have to try a different setup.As I said in my first reply my truck went through many different setups.You wont truly know of it will work until you try it and some times the install parts that are over kill(my ford has a 390 cubic inch motor and the dual fans from a dodge 3.3 has worked the best yet)

#30 ·
some do get lucky! a few of these trucks have temp spikes due to single row rads. there is room for improvement in the cooling dept. it is a must to run a two row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.