DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.7L 2002 Ram. I will be getting a complete Flowmaster exhaust soon. I am VERY interested in this electric cutout I have been reading about lately. I have gone to Quicktimeperformance.com and looked at the various models. Anyone knoe the difference between the sizes? I am assuming you need to get a size to match your exhaust pipes. Any recommendations? Also, do you think if I but the cutout before I get the exhaust put on, that the shop will install it for me at the time they put my Flowmaster on?

· Registered
130 Posts
if your going to get a cutout there is no point in getting exhaust, a cut out will give you better horsepower plus mean sound on demand. the whole point of a cutout is to have a quiet truck when you want, then with a flip of a switch, have the meanest sounding truck in town. From the hemi's i have heard with cutouts, you will most likely always have that thing cut out

· Banned
3,901 Posts
I have a cutout and LOVE IT! Its awesome. I got mine from dmhperformance.com and they were awesome. You will need a 3" y-pipe. And like Fire said, you don't need a muffler. I have the stock muffler dumped before the right rear tire.

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. I dont have a Hemi
2. The reason I am getting a complete exhaust is because My stock piping is starting to take a beating.

So....if I do have the exhaust, will the cutout make a difference? I am in Ohio, so cold weather would hurt me if I ran the cutout open in winter right? So in this case, The exhaust would help right?

· Banned
3,901 Posts
mattspenc said:
1. I dont have a Hemi
2. The reason I am getting a complete exhaust is because My stock piping is starting to take a beating.

So....if I do have the exhaust, will the cutout make a difference? I am in Ohio, so cold weather would hurt me if I ran the cutout open in winter right? So in this case, The exhaust would help right?
1. You don't need a HEMI. It will sound loud also on a 4.7!!
2. OK

When you have the cutout open, you will bypass the muffler....so yes - hell of a difference. No, it won't hurt to run open. It will just add lots of power and lots of noise.
When you have the cutout closed, you will run through the muffler. Just like normal.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a muffler. Just get the cutout.

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does it mean to have the exhaust dumped? Is that where it comes out the side before the rear tire, with no muffler I am assuming?

· Banned
3,901 Posts
mattspenc said:
What does it mean to have the exhaust dumped? Is that where it comes out the side before the rear tire, with no muffler I am assuming?
Dumped means just having a little turndown pipe off your muffler. So there is no tailpipe visible. So, no to the tire question.

· Registered
206 Posts
Are the electric cutouts only open or closed? Or, is it possible to open partially and only let "some" of the noise out for a sound somewhat quieter than stock?

· Registered
4,012 Posts
chrisd0729 said:
Are the electric cutouts only open or closed? Or, is it possible to open partially and only let "some" of the noise out for a sound somewhat quieter than stock?
A cutout is never quieter than stock. But you can run it half open if you choose.

· Banned
3,901 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
A cutout is never quieter than stock. But you can run it half open if you choose.
I run my cutout before my cat half way open and its still louder than when it was behind the muffler. Just not as deep. Open all the way....oh damn!

· Registered
206 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
Oops... I meant to say somewhat LOUDER than stock.....
Thanks for the info. I'm buying mine this week and hope to have it put on next week. I can do the wiring so, I'm hoping the exhaust shop will be able to do just the welding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.