DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some reading on electric cutouts and was just curious, what's the best place to place it? If I place it before the cats is it louder than if I place it after them? If I place it before the cats will I still be able to pass inspections in texas with it closed?

Also how much should I expect to get in installed? Is the wiring pretty simple?

Kyle

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
I just have done both methods:

The cutout before the cat is a hell of a lot louder that after the cat & before the muffler, but it isn't as deep. Now, this is the tricky part...since you have a Quad Cab...you have two cats, instead of one like on regular cabs. So you will have to build a middle crossbar to go from both cats before it splits to the cats. That way you have all 8 cyl coming out the cutout, and not just 4. You want 8. If you can't do that yourself, expect to pay for the exhaust peeps too. Should cost around $150, but that is just a guess.

The cutout after the cat, before the muffler sounds really nice. I would go this way, if you don't wanna take it to the track. Just have the Flowtech (little y-pipe) welded between the cat and muffler. Have the resonator cut off too, and a dump off the muffler. Looks real clean.

Yes, if you place it before the cats, you will pass emissions in TX, just say you keep it closed and use it only for the track.

The wiring is very simple. Ask for 15' feet of cable. Just the perfect length.

I paid $40 to get the dump (little y-pipe) welded on. The cutout just bolts on to the pipe...you can do that yourself when they finish welding. Then do the wiring there or at home.

Let me know if you got more questions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanx for the great information man. I know a great place to get the y-pipe welded in, so now all I really have to worry about is getting it wired properly. How hard is it to do? How on earth do you go about getting it hooked up not only to your electrical system but also getting it into the cab? Where did you mount your switch?

Kyle

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Yup! No problem.

OK, here goes. There are two holes on each side of the cab that go from underneath to inside the cab under the carpet. Just take a screwdriver, push up on the tab and push the cable through. That will get the cable into the cab.

I used the tab on the passenger side that is right under the front passenger seat. You will have to remove the jack first. Do that, and remove the plastic piece in the door still (that the right term??). Lift up the carpet and you should see your cable. Pull it through and then tuck into the door still and put the plastic piece back down. Tuck the cable behind all carpet until you get to the cupholder.

The bottom of the cupholder is one piece that comes off VERY easily. Pull it back and wrap up your extra cable and store it there. Nothing will hit it or anything. I put my switch in the black storage bin under the AC controls. So I took out the black tray in the ash tray and push the cable up that area. Took the dash off and drilled/cut a hole in the black storage bin. Mounted the switch, put everything back together, and your DONE!

I have to study for my economics final tonight, but tomorrow I will take pics of a step by step way to do it. Its very easy. The pics will probably explain everything better than my words. I will post the pics tomorrow in this thread for ya.

Let me know if you got anymore questions.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Oh yeah...the wiring part. I forgot the main part.

Tell me where you want your switch to be and I will let you know where to tap for power and where to place a ground. This part is simple. Let me know!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
They are very simple to install. I have a DMH in my TA, and I'm very happy with the quality.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH wow bro. I really appreciate all this help, definately didn't expect this much. I'm thinking about placing the switch on either side of the steering wheel in the dash.

By chance, that wasn't dragon stadium in your video was it?

Kyle

P.S. Good luck with the economics final.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Fender963 said:
By chance, that wasn't dragon stadium in your video was it?
It was Dragon Stadium....you live in/near Southlake? I live in Colleyville.

You know about the DFW Meet on the 14th??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah man, I am a senior at Carroll High. I do, unfortunately I'm going to be out of town then, otherwise I would definately be there.

Kyle

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Fender963 said:
Yeah man, I am a senior at Carroll High. I do, unfortunately I'm going to be out of town then, otherwise I would definately be there.

Kyle
I went to Grapevine...graduated in 2003.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
TTURedRaider09 said:
I went to Grapevine...graduated in 2003.

Som all that knowledge.....you heard it in the grapevine. :D

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
Som all that knowledge.....you heard it in the grapevine. :D
LOL! Get out of our thread. Texans only!

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Fender963 said:
I know a great place to get the y-pipe welded in
Kinney's Muffler?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Damn Texans! :VHOT:

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
When will you have your cutout? I will be back in Colleyville on Tuesday until the end of the month. If you get it before then, we can meet up and we can get it all wired up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not really too sure when I'll have it, I plan on ordering it soon, but after my purchase of my magellan GPS money is rather scarce. Hopefully real soon though.

You know I dont' actually know the name of the shop. But if you go down 1709/Southlake Blvd. towards 35, it's on your left about a mile before you reach 35. He did an excellent job on my old ranger and another excellent job on my Ram. Real cheap too.

Kyle

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
What kind of e-cutout are you getting?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Well, let me know when you get it and I will help you out. Would you still like some pics?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
What kind of e-cutout are you getting?
I said get out! :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha, us texans are a stubborn bunch. I'd really appreciate some pics but if you dont' have time just a picture of your switch now would do (for now ;) )

Kyle

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.