DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad purchased a new 08' Cummins a month or so ago. It has been to the dealership three separate times for an issue with the EGR vavle. First time he got a check engine light, they had it for a three hours and didn't find anything wrong. Second time the check engine light came on again, they had it for a three or four hours, they told us they cleaned it and said it was fixed. The third time it smelled like burnt wiring in the truck along with a check engine light, they replaced it according to the recall I assume. They had the truck for about three days while they waited for parts to come in. On his way down here last weekend, the light came on again for the fourth time. He is planning on taking it in this afternoon. I was curious of anyone else had such problems. Also, what do you think about claiming it to be a lemon?

·
Lovin My Ram
525 Posts
its because of all the emissions crap that they put onto the cummins

i believe that if they didnt have all that crap on it the emissions would be low since gas mileage would be through the roof and therefore would use less fuel = less emissions

kinda (not well versed in diesels but it makes sense to me)

iv heard of lots of guys just unplugging the egr valave sensor and they havent had any problems with their trucks.

the also dont go into regen as often because the truck produces WAY less soot then if u keep the egr plugged in. and they see huges increases in mileage

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
Unplug the EGR if you dont mind the light. Mileage will go up and from what I have read, will help keep the turbo a bit cleaner.

With a 6.7, there are a couple things to do to keep it running well without codes.
Once warmed up, drive it hard or dont be afraid to work it...
Use the exhaust brake. Doing so will keep the slides inside the turbo from getting stuck.
If you drive it around town or get the Regen needed messages, avoid OD around town or take it out on the freeway from time to time to clean it out.

If you drive it easy, you may have some issues with keeping it running like it should. Mine is my daily and so far it has been perfect. Honestly, I havent changed my driving style with this vehicle and no issues. I take it on trails where it would see a lot of idling and slow paced driving and havent had any issues as of yet with the dpf or anything else for that matter. I drive with the EB and flog it if I see fit...lol The 6.7 really is a great motor and while the exhaust isnt perfect, it really should be trouble free taking into consideration what it does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts