DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering one or the other next week...but not completely sold on either yet. I was going to get a Quadzilla when I found out it had more features than the Edge, but have been reading up on it and it seems to have several annoying problems with it, so leaning back towards the Edge again....Whats everyone's opinion on these, and which are you running?

Getting an Air Dog 100 pump to accompany which ever one I decide on.

Will be running on my 99 Ram 3500.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
I just got the Adrenaline box and will let you know how I like it when the "Stealth Cover" comes in from BD. Even though I'm out of the warrenty period, I didn't like the Idea of T-Tapping my pump wire.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I like my Edge Comp for near 5 yrs. so I'd go with the Juice if it played out.

Hey Chris, I soldered mine to get a good connection.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
I thought about that Clunk, but the Stealth Cover looked like a good idea and was only $75 delivered. This way if I have to send in this VP for a core later nobody complains. I have heard horror stories of people getting denied for a good core because of "modified" pump wires. With this cover I can just swap the cover back and go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd say EDGE, that is if they ever fixed their tech support and quality control issues. The later comp boxes had lots of problems, but thats been about 2 years ago. Quadzilla on the other hand, I have heard of people having lots of trouble with. Personally I run a TST power max 3 race stacked with a smarty. Especially with the new REVO software available for the smarty you'd have much more control over your timing and injector pulse. Also, if you haven't already done it make sure you get rid of the stock airbox and filter and go with an after market system or put a BHAF on it.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Edge it uuuuuuuuppp! I was skeptical to buy it at first but I was hooked. Only down side is the stacking chips part. When I had trouble with it I talked with edge and had great customer service. I actually got the updated software for free when I sent it in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear you had good luck with with edge Red Sleeper. I looked at one years back but I was able to work a deal and get one of the first 100 smartys built lol. So you live in 'ol P-Town huh? I think I've seen your truck around before. Nice ride

·
Come Git Some
1,155 Posts
I am trying to decide between the two also.. i am pickin up a 01 CTD on wednesday and i cant decide between the two.. i think im leaning towards the edge and eventually doin a smarty stack.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I recently had to replace my VP44 injector pump and http://www.mwfi.com/ took my old one, no questions.
If it's still working good come May, I'll recommend them in my signature(s).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
From Bluechipdiesel.com,

"Another common VP44 failure is when the truck dies driving down the road for no apparent reason, or when you let off the throttle at high RPM, and the engine won’t restart. This is usually a seized rotor in the injection pump and is most common on 1998 and 1999 trucks. The cause of this failure in these two years is a poorly "deburred" rotor, according to Bosch. This machining problem has been addressed and apparently solved in later years. If you run any rotary style pump like a VP44 out of fuel at high RPM or heavy load, you CAN seize the rotor because it runs out of lubrication! Dying for no apparent reason can also be due to contaminated fuel and corrosion on internal parts of the pump."

I don't know if it was a loss of lift pump fuel pressure or the "hit" to the pump with a module but I've read where the installation of a module on a '98.5-'99 killed the injector pump quick...you might do some more checking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
04 Hemi, If you expect to do a smarty stack I would suggest you get a fuel only box. the reasons for that are: Edge controls timing and so does the smarty, The smarty does a better job in that timing control, If you stack edge and smarty you will not be able to get all of the benefits out of the smarty, (you can only run the even number or fuel only programs), It can really mess your engine up if you run edge and smarty with timing enabled, ( and it can be tough to not turn the smarty all the way up to 9). The latest release of the smarty software allows you to select your injector pulse width, (yes you can do that on VP44 trucks), and also select your timing or just run a preset program. Now, lots of guys stack edge and smarty and like it, but they are not getting the full potential out of their smartys. If you do go the fuel only route, look into a TST, Van Aken, or Blue Chip. Blue Chip being top of the line for our trucks, but they are are expensive. If money is a big concern, I'd suggest finding a used TST power max 1 on ebay. Then spend 50 bucks to buy the remote for it and you can access all 9 power levels. All TST power max boxes are the same in programming, meaning all 9 power levels are already on the boxes you just need the remote to access them. I am in no way an expert in this field but I have been working on, building my own, and helping build other high performance CTD's for the better part of 5 years now. Also, this can't be stressed enough, the first thing that needs to be done to these trucks if you plan to go the performance route is lose the stock lift pump and replace it with a frame mounted aftermarket system. Also install at a minimum a fuel pressure gauge and egt gauge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From Bluechipdiesel.com,

"Another common VP44 failure is when the truck dies driving down the road for no apparent reason, or when you let off the throttle at high RPM, and the engine won’t restart. This is usually a seized rotor in the injection pump and is most common on 1998 and 1999 trucks. The cause of this failure in these two years is a poorly "deburred" rotor, according to Bosch. This machining problem has been addressed and apparently solved in later years. If you run any rotary style pump like a VP44 out of fuel at high RPM or heavy load, you CAN seize the rotor because it runs out of lubrication! Dying for no apparent reason can also be due to contaminated fuel and corrosion on internal parts of the pump."

I am having that exact problem with my S.O. pump now. I tore through the fuel system trying to figure it out. At first I thought I had trash in my tank or semi clogged filters causing it to die. It will only die if I'm really gettin after it then let out. The embarrassing part is having to pull over and bleed the air out of the lines :bawl: That looks real good when that Ferd who's doors I just blew off comes rolling by and asks if I need a tow.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'd get with some FASS folks and ask whats going on...FASS is supposed to remove air.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's what they claim. I didn't buy the full FASS system, just the pump. I've also heard you can add fuel filters along the frame rail behind the pump and it does the same thing.

·
Come Git Some
1,155 Posts
Already have a FASS 150 and a fuel pressure guage. im ordering tonight the automer z series kit with the pyro, boost, trans. Im actually thinking about holding off on either one now.. thinking about getting a goerend trans, sooner the i planned so i dont have to worry and i can just go balls out now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good idea.

·
Registered
150 Posts
personally i run the quadzilla adrenaline, its a hard fueling box i tell ya what i cant keep traction with my 35x12.50 17 inch tires. but a fuel system is a must i blew my injection pump in under a day after my install of this box due to lack of fuel pressure from my lift pump i now run a carter inline 4601 stacked up with my factory lift pump and havent had a problem since but my only complaint about this box is it constantly defuels because im still running the factory exhaust and it feels my egt's are to high and quadzilla is still working on getting a fuel pressure sending unit but other then that i love my quadzilla just my 2 cents

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Im still a bit skeptical of both, have heard of problems with both, but am going to go with the Adrenaline w/pulse and Airdog 100.

Not looking to run more than 500HP. I mostly haul car trailers and soon RV's, so this should be just what I need.

Truck has had the VP44, LP, transmission and clutch replaced with new/reman units in the last 5,000 miles (before I bought it :biggrin:), so Im good there.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
Dan, Not to hijack the thread, but for whom do you haul for and how much and far do you haul?

·
Registered
150 Posts
ya i also went with the pulse you can see pics of it in my gallery you'll love it and you can upgrade the programs by just plugging ur laptop into and ur good to go you dont have to send in ur box and get it reprogrammed

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.