DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 W150 with a 2bbl. 318. I want to switch to an edelbrock intake with a 4bbl but on the factory heads where the middle ports are there is a half moon port on top of them, and when I tried install the new intake I noticed the ports are exposed. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? Help!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would love to know if you find an answer. I have a 318 and 904 combo in one of mine that has the same open spots exposed. Has for many years. To be honest I never really questioned it.

It is somewhat oily on top of the motor but it doesn't spew oil or anything. I honestly have no idea if it seeps or leaks or anything. No vacuum or intake issues i can confirm through.

I also have no idea what vintage the driveline is. It's not original.

Reactions: hixs

·
Red Trucker
2,645 Posts
That's the heat crossover, prevents carb icing and sends heat to the choke well. The actual port is in the middle, if memory serves the air (half moon) around it is to keep it from conducting heat to the adjacent cylinders. There are corresponding spots under the intake manifold between the intake ports that line up on these perfectly. What sucks is these half moons are great for catching dirt and debris.

Stock 340, you can see it plain as day on both sides:

·
Red Trucker
2,645 Posts
Thank you for that. I will seal them. I thought I had to buy a new intake
Don't put anything in the half moons, it's designed to be there to dissipate heat. It's not an actual "port". You're just gonna cook anything you put in there and then it will transmit extra heat to your surroundig combustion chambers. This may cause you problems later on. Leave it as it was designed to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts