DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’ve got a van I’m currently working some bugs out of and am trying to figure out if the ecu part number is critical or if they are mostly interchangeable.

The reason I’m asking is because I recently chased down a no bus issue that turned out to be a defective ecu. I ordered the part from a local shop and they sourced it based on my vin. The problem I have is the part they got me did not match the part number I pulled off.

My original part number was P56040115AE the part they purchased is P56040115AB the shop claims this doesn’t matter but when I go to the company who sourced the part (flagship one) they seem to think this part number is critical.

In my experience the letters at the end represent a version number. The latest letter in this case E would indicat a later or more up to date part and the B would indicate an earlier version or older version of the same part. The concern is that there may have been some critical update between version b and e or there are other differences that could impact the function of the van.

Does anyone have more information on the differences between the parts? So far the van runs and drives fine but I’ve only ran it for a few miles. Should I return it and make them get me version AE?

Sorry for the heavy reading and thank you for any insight.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is going to happen more and more now that Mopar has stopped selling computers.

I’d try and find another listing and see if your numbers jive with what these guys are telling you. A friendly Mopar parts guy might help, but he has little incentive if they don’t have the part.

Lots of companies selling them out there through Google. Check out Rock Auto’s listings.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

·
Registered
9 Posts
If memory serves me correctly the letters at the end indicate only the software version, yes it’s safe to assume that AE is newer than AB but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “better”. Depending on the model year, your local dealer should be able to flash update to whatever software is currently available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
1973 Dodge B100
18 Posts
On my 73 Dodge Van I switched from the 1973 OEM part to the "performance" ECM, Mopar part # P4120505, I did not need a performance part but the orange color was cool...
it took less than 2 years before it failed, I re-installed the 1973 stock module and it lasted another 5 years before it needed replaced. I did not notice any difference between the original 1973 stock ECM, the performance ECM or the stock replacement ECM that is installed now. I am just happy that the parts are still available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is going to happen more and more now that Mopar has stopped selling computers.

I’d try and find another listing and see if your numbers jive with what these guys are telling you. A friendly Mopar parts guy might help, but he has little incentive if they don’t have the part.

Lots of companies selling them out there through Google. Check out Rock Auto’s listings.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
So far all seems good with the AB unit. I’m pretty sure what others are saying is true. This is a plug and play preflashed/reman unit from fs1. I think the only thing reman about it is the cover they used. It had an old sticker with the part number on it. It’s more than likely the newest software anyway. The sticker is probably just there to make you feel good about what part number they send you.

I called around to every dodge within driving distance and none of them would even look at my van. They won’t do any work on it at all. Including flashing the ecu. So if your having a similar problem make sure you get a preflashed plug and play unit. Anything needing flashing might just be a paper weight at this point. The shops I called all said they would have had the dealer flash it for them so it’s probably going to be hard to get any computer work done soon if dealers are refusing to work on these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts