DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll post this here. My wife's PT came up with P0116 code. That is the "engine coolant temperature sensor range or performance problem" code. It looks easy enough to replace but I can't get to it for a few days. In the Haynes manual it says it has something to do with the fuel injection system. Does anyone know what it does? Can I wait? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The coolant sensor sends a signal to the PCM telling it how hot or cold the engine is, so not only do you get a reading on the gauge accordingly, but the PCM determines how rich or lean the fuel mixture should be as it pertains to engine temps. Sorta like a choke back in the good old days. When the engine is cold the choke would stay partially shut supplying a rich mixture, but as the engine warmed up the choke would open up providing a leaner mixture.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The light has not come back on since I cleared it. Time will tell if I really need to replace it or was it a glitch. Thanks again.

·
Registered
827 Posts
may be time for a thermostat. if engine doesn't reach 180 within a specified time, a code will set. not sure of the wording of the code or the number. how is the heat in your pt??? does it take a long time to warm up???? getting bad gas mileage??? these are signs of thermostat stuck open..........just a few ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.